10 Reasons Why You Should Celebrate Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Valentine’s Day is a despised holiday by many a single girl – do we really need to be reminded of our relationship status by seeing endless Instagram pictures of flowers, balloons, teddy bears, and kissing? Enough with the sappy stuff! But hey, it is totally fine to be single [OM1] on V-Day. We often forget that we have some amazing friends, so why not use this holiday to show them how much we love them?

That’s why Galentine’s Day was invented. Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreations decided that it is important to celebrate your lady friends and spend a day just with them. So, instead of swiping right impulsively on Tinder to find a date, here is a list of reasons why you should just grab your friends and have a girls’ day:

1. It’s a day that celebrates being female!

Feminists rejoice!

2. Boys come and go, but friends are forever…

… until you eat their fries and they show their ugly side.

3. You can spend the day gushing about the cute guy in your class.

Or rave about the dress that makes you look like Beyoncé.

4. What’s more fun than burning pictures of your exes or laughing ‘til you cry about your fifth grade hair cut?

5. Your friends support you no matter what, it’s time to say thank you.

Bad decisions make good stories, and these girls have plenty of blackmail.

6. Who else will give you a tampon, a slap back to reality, or chocolate when you need it the most?

You don’t need a guy to buy you flowers on V-Day when your BFF will bring you a bottle of wine.

7. Singing powerful female anthems is the best way to feel like you run the world.

See what I did there?

8. You can eat an insane amount of junk food while watching old movies.

(And by old I mean High School Musical circa 2006).

9. You can celebrate a promotion, a published article, or that your friend finally ditched the boy who hurt her.

10. You will inspire a sigh of relief from the single ladies who are sick and tired of scrolling through their Instagram feeds to find pictures of couples.

No one needs to be reminded that they are single during this time of the year.

Go to your favorite sushi bar, order pizza, watch a movie, or go for brunch! But remember to show your female friends what they’re worth to you. Ovaries before brovaries!

Orly is a Venezuelan senior at Drexel University majoring in Public Relations and double minoring in marketing and writing. In her free time, you can find her in a coffee shop writing, color-coding her way through life or binge watching One Tree Hill for the fifth time. She manages HCD's Facebook page as well as their Twitter and hopes to make a career out of social media someday.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.