What It Feels Like to Be Back on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

If I were to be honest, coming back to Dickinson has been a surreal experience. It is a complete 180 from last year. Coming back as a sophomore this year, it is exciting to know I was returning to my home away from home.

Last year, around this time, I remember wanting to call home all the time and try to find ways to make Dickinson seem like New York. I quickly learned that I could not make them remotely similar. I had to remind myself that I have a place outside of the bustling city and my family life. The adjustment was slow but worthwhile. After eating the cafeteria food and keeping on top of my work as best I could, college eventually felt like home.

Coming back to campus this year is a quicker adjustment because I’m no longer new to the experience. It feels great to be able to have lunch with my friends and snuggle up around the TV for numerous movie nights. It’s a warm and welcoming feeling. I almost feel like I never left. 

Of course, there is still some adjusting to do, like getting to know my new professors and getting acquainted with my new schedule and syllabus. Things will start to feel easier as the year goes on.

A word of advice to the incoming freshmen: things may feel foreign and scary yet exciting at the same time but do not rush to go home. You’ll find your place here! Collegiettes are known to be resilient, why stop now?

Julia Mercado

Dickinson '20

Julia is an English major who just loves to write. You can normally find her looking for the next Netflix original to watch... or coming up with her own script ideas. With Her Campus, she hopes to reach out to other college women like her!