From Head to Toe: 4 Tips on How to Accessorize for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

A few days ago, I came to a horrifying conclusion: I have an extremely boring fall wardrobe. I have a lot of sweaters, but they are either in shades of white or grey (no pun intended); most of my jackets are in army green or navy; and my shoes and boots are one of two shades of brown. Already in my third month of college I was slipping down the rabbit hole of only putting effort into my outfits once-a-week.

Especially with all these vibrant natural colors going across campus, your fall wardrobe can be fun. Even if your clothing is a little bit on the unimaginative side like mine, there are still things that can help you spice up your outfits instantly. 

Here are some of the things that I have been experimenting with to change up my look:

1. A chic fall manicure

Image

A lot of people like to paint their nails black for fall. Personally, I prefer berry to black all day, any day. Especially in the chilly fall weather, seeing some pleasant hue of red on my fingertips warms me up in a second. If you’re feeling extra fabulous, you can even add in some glitter! Silver and maroon go together perfectly.

2. Delicate jewelry

Image

A cute little necklace or ring can immediately add to any oversized-sweater look. Chokers are back on trend this year, but any dainty piece of jewelry works!

3. Blanket scarves

Image

Blanket scarves are your new best friends this fall and winter, especially if you’re always in a rush in the morning. Not only do they make any outfit look adorable, but they keep you warm.

4. Fun socks!

Image

Don’t be afraid to show off your quirky side! This fall, why not liven up your outfit with a fun pair of socks? There are so many patterns and designs to choose from: socks adorned with images of pizza, cupcakes and famous artwork can brighten up your outfit on even the chilliest days.

These are just some of the ideas that I came up with to help make my fall outfits less boring. Don’t forget, while these clothing items are fun to the best fashion accessory to brighten up your fall outfit is a smile.  

Julie Yao is a sophomore International Studies major at Dickinson College. On campus, in addition to being the PR Director for HC Dickinson, she is in Chamber Music, Dickinson Christian Fellowship, and Model UN. Julie is passionate about social justice, politics, strange reality TV shows such as Return to Amish, and tea. She is still confused about many aspects of life, but she also knows she has a ton of time for self-searching and finding peace.