College Life as Told by Once Upon a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

I’ve been addicted to ABC’s Once Upon a Time since the very first season. This show never ceases to amaze me with new characters, plot twists and surprises. In honor of season six, here are our favorite fairytale characters explaining what it’s like to be a college student.

The first few weeks of college

Whether you’re coming to college for the first time or returning to campus after a long summer, the first few weeks of college are amazing and exciting. The beginning of the year is filled with new and old friends, clubs, teams and countless stories to tell. Teachers are still going over the syllabus and life is pretty carefree.  

When you get your first grade

Syllabus week is officialy over. You wonder how this happened. You totally thought you had everything under control and you vow to yourself that you will never see that letter on your paper ever again.

When you realize all that your mom did for you and aren’t ready to adult yet…at all…

I’m not going to lie, being independent was fun and empowering at first. It was “Look at me, mom, I’ve got this!” But I’ll gladly take my lack of responsibilities and childhood naivety back anytime. Being an adult isn’t as fun as I thought it would be.

When your teacher throws a curveball at you

“Happy Halloween! Enjoy those 300 pages of reading while you’re at it!” said every professor ever. Class is over and you couldn’t be more excited for the weekend until you hear your professor remind you of that test, quiz, paper and reading assignment due next class. Why don’t they ever give you a break?!

If only I could switch outfits this quickly and be fashionable, my life would be complete I mean, between classes, gym time, clubs, studying and hanging with your friends, it takes so much time to switch outfits and still look cute. Forgive me if I wear sweats, it’s honestly too much effort trying to keep up.

Checking with your roommate to make sure you’re both still alive

You both have 8,782,909 things to do and absolutely no motivation, or time really, to get it done. Might as well procrastinate and watch Netflix.

Countless nights of no sleep… mostly due to Netflix

“I have a paper due tomorrow that I need to finish. I’ll only watch one more episode.” is the biggest lie ever. It’s two in the morning and you’re staring at the clock on your computer waiting for something to pop into your head.

Well it’s done….

I actually wrote my paper! I might have been slightly distracted on Netflix, but the paper is done just like you asked.

Hook is to beer as college students are to coffee

Enough said. Coffee is a necessity 24/7: before your morning class, in the middle of the day to give you that extra boost and at night to keep you awake for another night of no sleep. 

Declaring your major

We’ve all thought about this one growing up and we all thought we had it figured out once or twice. But honestly, we have no idea until we hand in that declaration form to the registrar and even then we aren’t totally convinced we know what we are doing. Maybe you thought you’d be an engineer but declare an anthropology major with a minor in film. Things change, interests change and people change. Enjoy your journey wherever it may take you!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Janna is an Sociology major with a love for sunshine, traveling, baking, music, coffee, and writing.