This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

1. Be realistic about how often you want to cook

While it’s great that you want to cook for yourself, make sure you’ll actually have time do so. If you know your schedule is packed on Wednesday, odds are you’ll be too tired to make dinner after a long day. So just make sure you’ll have time to cook. Also factor in if you’ll go out to eat on the weekends.

2. Go to the grocery store with a list

Write down the different ingredients you’ll need so you don’t accidentally forget something. Try and use one ingredient in multiple meals and it’ll be cheaper. Plus, don’t shop hungry or you’ll be more tempted to stray from your carefully curated list.

3. Have plenty of containers

If you’re going to make dinner in advance for three nights, just make sure you have the containers to store everything! It also helps if you can portion out an entire meal into one container and then you can just pop that in the microwave, and boom, dinner.

4. Make recipes that you enjoy

Lots of meal prep friendly recipes are designed to have leftovers so you only have to cook a few times a week. So make sure the recipe is something you’ll enjoy eating again and that will be tasty when reheated!

5. The slow cooker is your best tool

The slow cooker is the best appliance you can have. Having the option to just throw a bunch of ingredients in and come back in a few hours to a ready meal is perfect for your busy schedule. Plus, slow cookers are huge so you can make multiple meals with just the push of a button.

Alexandra Loh

Dickinson '19

Alex is a senior English major at Dickinson College. Alex enjoys traveling, cooking, and watching college basketball.
Devon Carlson

Dickinson '20

Devon is a junior at Dickinson College, majoring in Political Science and Educational Studies. At Dickinson, she involves herself in a cappella and soccer, but outside of her school work and extracurriculars, she has a very strong passion for coffee and all things related to The Office.