Career

5 Problems All Summer Camp Counselors Can Relate to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

This summer I was a camp counselor at a day camp. It was a lot of fun but it definitely had its downsides. If you’ve ever been a camp counselor, you can relate to these 5 things. 

1. Waking up way too early. 

I would have to get to camp at least 30 minutes earlier than when the campers got there. This meant I had to be out of my house before 8am. I do not miss the early wake up calls! 

2. Not getting paid enough. 

Generally, camp counselors are not paid very much. Sometimes, this could be really frustrating but in general being a counselor is a very rewarding job. 

3. Having to be outside during a heat wave. 

There were some days that were so hot that I thought my camp should have been closed for the day. The few parts of my day where I got to be in the air conditioning were amazing! 

4. Dealing with chaotic rainy days. 

Rainy days at my camp were crazy. We would be given a rainy day schedule that oftentimes was very hectic and we spent the whole day walking around in pouring rain. 

5. Saying goodbye to your campers and co-counselors. 

The hardest part about camp is saying goodbye to all the amazing people you met that summer. I was so lucky that my co counselors were amazing people who made coming to work each day fun. Saying goodbye to your campers is always very hard, but hopefully you will see them next summer! The goodbyesmade me realize how many great people I got to spend my summer with and how lucky I was to have a great job.  

Anonymous at Dickinson