When Life Gives You Lemons: Career Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Two major questions I always get are: “what do you want to do when you are done with college?” or “what do you want to be?” the truth is no one ever really knows what they want to do after or before they want to go to college. You may have the few people who are dead set on being doctors, nurses, athletes. Then you have the parents that want you to find a career that makes six figures, but for the rest of us we’re just trying to make it through classes like trigonometry. It is always what you can do for society but never who you want to be in society. Including pare

Society has high standards, especially parents, for each generation coming in and the pressure is on from the moment we start school the first question is always, “what do you want to be when you grow up?” As a child, it was simpler always a fairy princess and the occasional kids who said they wanted to be doctors, fire fighters, or WWE fighters. In reality we say we want to be one thing but life never goes as planned. For example, I myself have said I wanted to be a basketball playing, veterinarian, who owns a mansion. Now that I’ve gotten older my interest has changed. I no longer play basketball and I have no idea if I want to be a Vet or not, and this is my senior year. I do however, still plan on living in a mansion… one day.

Mansion or not, life is unpredictable and can dictate your future in a positive or negative light. Parents should support their child in whatever career they choose and not pressure them into feeling like they have to choose a six-figure salary job if its more work than pleasure. If you find something you love to do then do it no matter what, even if it doesn’t pay as much as other jobs. Because let’s face who would want a miserable job where you hate everything compared to a job that you could be having fun and do something you love.

Hey
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!