Big 3 Astrology?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Big 3 Astrology?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

The Ultimate Birth Month Guide: January

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

“January is here, with eyes that keenly glow, a frost-mailed warrior striding a shadowy steed of snow.”  – Edgar Fawcett

The start of the new year is here and with that, we all have something in common to look forward to: starting January 1st, the clock resets and counts down to our birthdays. Luckily for you, being born in January means you won’t have to wait too long. This month is all about you, so this guide will only celebrate you. Everyone else has to wait.

Name Origin

The name January can be attributed to the Roman god Janus. He is the god of beginnings and ends, which perfectly symbolizes the transition in time that January offers. Janus is depicted with two faces so that he can see the future and the past.

Birth Flower

Each month has a floral representative, and luckily for you, January has two. The first one is the Carnation.

Carnations come in several colors, each with their own symbolic meaning. Red represents love and affection, yellow represents disappointment or rejection, and white represents r good luck, to name a few examples.

Carnations were chosen because they “represent the warmth, love, and affection that people born in this month bring to the world.”

The second flower for January is Snowdrops. Snowdrops generally flower from January to March and can be seen braving the cold as they blossom while snow is still on the ground.

A lesser-known astrology practice is Celtic tree astrology. In Celtic tradition, trees have their own astrology system similar to that of zodiac signs. The tree you are assigned to is determined by your birthday. Birch trees are dedicated to those with birthdays between Dec. 24 to Jan. 20, and Rowan trees are Jan. 21 to Feb. 17.

Birthstone

Along with flowers, there are gemstones that symbolize each month of the year. The January birthstone is Garnet. These dark red stones symbolize “good health, wealth, and happiness.” 

Astrology

If astrology is your thing, then you should know that January has two associated zodiac signs: Capricorn season from Dec. 22 through Jan. 19 and Aquarius season starting Jan. 20 through Feb. 18.

Big 3 Astrology?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

Celebrities born in January

In January you share a month of celebration with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (Jan. 15), Edgar Allan Poe (Jan. 19), and Oprah Winfrey (Jan. 29). Congratulations to you for making it in the January club with accomplished figures in society.

Personality

Personality-wise, January-borns are known to be natural leaders who do not let obstacles get in their way. They are the best people to go to for guidance, so be sure to hit them up first when making big decisions. As the star of their workplace, January-borns are seen as ambitious go-getters and the light of the office.

My name is Savannah Smalley, I am a freshman at Delaware State University, and I am majoring in Agriculture with a concentration in plant sciences, and a minor in environmental science. My goal is to become a successful botanist, and I will achieve that. I am a senior editor for my campus’s chapter of Her Campus. My hobbies include reading, writing, playing video games, growing plants, and playing sports. When I am not writing for Her Campus, I take part in other organizations at my school such as the alliance for minorities participation (AMP), minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and related sciences (MANNRS), and The environmental alliance (TEA). I’ve been writing my entire life through stories, essays, newspaper articles, and more as a way to express myself. I graduated high school with an award in creative writing, and I plan on continuing my writing journey through my college career.