Taraji P. Henson Sparks Conversation Among Black Female Actresses About Unfair Payment In Hollywood 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Kiaira Wheeler

On Wednesday, December 19th, 2023 Taraji P. Henson and other cast members of the musical film “The Color Purple” attended a SiriusXM interview with Gayle King. During the interview, King confronted Henson about a rumor she heard about her planning to quit acting. Things got real when Henson discussed her reasoning on why she is thinking about quitting acting.

In the New York Post article “Taraji P. Henson sobs over begin underpaid in Hollywood: ‘The math ain’t mathing,’” Henson became emotional, stating  “I’m just tired of working so hard, being gracious at what I do [and] getting paid a fraction of the cost… I’m tired of hearing my sisters say the same thing over and over. You get tired. I hear people go, ‘You work a lot.’ Well, I have to. The math ain’t mathing.” 

She further asserts in the article that becoming an actor entails assembling a team that assists you when you begin to work extensively. Upon receiving the bills, it is necessary to compensate your team, and Henson provides a detailed breakdown: 50% of your salary goes to taxes paid to the government, aka “ Uncle Sam.” Upon making a payment of 50%, your account balance will increase to 5 million. However, she adds, your team is also receiving a 30% share of your total income.

Since the interview took place a month ago, it has received a total of 884,816 views and has sparked widespread conversation and debate on the inequality in Taraji P. Henson’s pay despite her involvement in movies. There have been actors who supported Henson through her tough time since the interview with Gayle King regarding her contemplation of quitting acting due to not receiving equal pay for her movie roles.  

In a Forbes article titled “Here’s Why Black Actors Are Rallying Behind Taraji P. Henson’s Comment On Being Underpaid In Hollywood,” we learn about other black actors who have come out about their issues of not receiving equal pay as other actresses in Hollywood.

For instance, Gabrielle Union gave her support for Henson on speaking out and went to Twitter saying, “Not a damn lie told,” adding that Black actors fight for the next generation even though it “takes a toll on your mind, health, soul, and career.”

Writer and actress Robin Thede discusses her point of view on the matter on X (formerly Twitter). Thede states that taxes and other fees take over actors’ salaries and actors have a small amount of money left for themselves. In her thread, she mentions that at least 70% – 80% of an actor’s gross income is leading to taxes and commissions – commissions as in agents, managers, and lawyers. She also discusses that black women in the entertainment industry have been facing underpayment in Hollywood. 

Actress Keke Palmer made an Instagram post discussing her experience with the struggle of working multiple jobs as a multi-talent person. In her Instagram post, she says “This is why no one can really have one job anymore! People working outside of the entertainment industry may do Uber eats, postmastes, accountant part-time, substitute teacher every other week, etc.” 

“This is why no one can really have one job anymore! People working outside of the entertainment industry may do Uber eats, postmastes, accountant part-time, substitute teacher every other week, etc.” 

In the Forbes article, they discuss an old interview with Viola Davis in 2018 in which she shared that although she has received many awards throughout her acting career – a Tony, an Oscar, and an Emmy award – her acting career is not a same as a white actress, and that includes money and job opportunities. 

Henson continues by stating that she had to fire everybody in her team due to them wanting her to do a spin-off show for Empire called ‘Cookie Lyon Show.’ Although it didn’t work out, her team didn’t have any opportunities for her to be a part of. She said “Where is my deal? Where’s my commercial? Cookie was top of the fashion game, where is my endorsement?” 

While looking at things on the outside, I never knew that actors were going through these challenges in their careers. It’s very saddening that these actors have to overwork themselves to earn what they deserve. To see Black actors being mistreated and not getting the same pay as a non-Black actor is very horrendous. 

Black actors have shown that they are really proud of Taraji for speaking up about the inequality they go through in Hollywood. It has caused other Black actors to speak up about their own experiences because they want people around the world to know that they are human as well. Like everyone else, they have bills to pay and are fighting for equality in their industry.

Hello, my name is Kiaira Wheeler. I’m from Washington DC. I am a junior attending Delaware State University. Currently a junior at Delaware State University. I am pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Mass Communications, with a  minor in Digital Media. I am a member of the editorial staff for Her Campus at my college. I have roles within the editorial team at my college, in addition to fulfilling the role of program director for the school's radio station. Furthermore, I am responsible for executing the duties of the corresponding secretary position within the junior class board. Fun Fact about me is I like to write, cook, and watch 80s and 90s movies. My objective within the media sector is to actively support and promote the representation and empowerment of individuals from black and minority communities to amplify their voices. I think it's important to speak up for what you think is right and try to influence society. My primary areas of interest for media discussion include entertainment, education, and social injustice. My objective is to talk about the problems that are occurring and figure out how to solve them.