Poets You Didn’t Think You Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Poets You Didn’t Think You Need

It’s fall again! And with the seasons changing again new moods are surfacing. I for one, get plagued by a certain seasonal sadness, and to combat this and lift my mood-or sometimes wallow in my sadness- I indulge in poetry. From collections to spoken word, here are my favorite poets!

1. Amanda Lovelace

Is author of multiple collection of poetry books centered on self empowerment and the princess saves herself in this one from the “women are some kind of magic” series, is my absolute favorite. I read this book cover to cover in a back corner of a Barnes & Noble’s, drinking an iced vanilla latte in a complete trance. I didn’t put the book down once. The topics although some explicit, are very real and include child abuse, sexual assault, eating disorders, death, suicide and more. (Please be careful with potential triggers) I love the writing style of this book it flows well and the short poems and taglines keep you 100% involved in the book. Most importantly the book spoke to different parts of myself past and present, and is 2000% relatable. Her other poetry in the “women are some kind of magic” includes; the witch does’nt burn in this one.

1. Rudy Francisco

Is a poetry author and spoken word poet mostly known for his awe-inspiring slam poetry performances which have gone viral. I was first introduced to him through the button poetry page on YouTube, I listened to a video titled, “Scars/To the New Boyfriend”, and then I listened to it again and again. I could match each line he said with a personal experience of mine. He touches on break-ups, racism, love and relationships. When you listen to his poems the feels are real. Rudy Francisco has four books out: Getting Stitches, Scratch, No Gravity, and Helium. You can check out is astounding performances on YouTube.

1. Crystal Valentine

Is MY FAVORITE spoken word poet. She is also an activist, and educator. With words that are powerful and meaningful not excusive from being sharp and witty, she says the things you have thought but could never eloquently put together. Crystal Valentine’s poems are an ode to what it means to be a Black Women in society today, and she speaks of numerous topics that go on this world we live in that effect us Black women. She shakes the table! Literal representation of black girl magic when you hear her poetry it will be hard to ignore what she ignites in you. I love, love, love her. Crystal has a book out now, Not Everything Is A Eulogy.

Nia Curry

DESU '20

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. - Plato ~ Enjoy my blog
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!