This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

I think it was about March when life started shutting down. Stores were closed until further notice, my university went on spring break and we did not return, and I was out of a job until further notice. At that time all I knew about the Coronavirus was that it came out of China and a lot of people were not surviving. This led me to believe that the U.S. shutting down was the best option since in March it had come to the states. Once I confined to my house, I was so okay with it. I tried to find the best out of a negative situation. One thing about me is I lowkey hate being in my house for long periods of time, so in the beginning, being quarantined was a negative situation. But since I had no choice, I decided to learn some new recipes, start my own business, and spend more time with my family. In the end, I loved just being home. While I was enjoying my time at home, cases of Covid19 were increasing, which is something I truly did not understand if everyone was supposed to be under quarantine. 

BUT let me tell you where I feel the country went wrong. So, each state was following its own quarantine rules. I think the country should have been but on a national lockdown, this means that no one should have been able to enter or leave the country. This might seem a little excessive, but I do think it would have worked. I just think that if we had a better person in charge of the country,  the death rate wouldn’t be so high. Also, for the people who don’t think wearing a mask was essential or the people who didn’t want to social distance, there should have been consequences for them, to let people know that the government was taking this seriously. I think that if covid19 was taken more seriously there would have been much better outcomes for the country.

Hi, my name is Jamila Seidu and I am currently a student at Delaware State University and I am a kinesiology major. I love everything art and I'm not afraid to try something new, so here I am. I hope you enjoy.