Modern rap music vs old rap music: explained.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Kiaira Wheeler 

In the early 1970s rap was created according to the article “History of Rap & Hip-Hop – Timeline of African American Music”. DJ Kool Herc was the founding father of hip-hop over the years. In the article “History of Rap: A Powerful Voice of Expression” Rap is characterized by the focus on rhythm, poetry and wordplay. There are known rap artists who have been in the industry over the years and have made it to the charts in the 90s. To this day, people still play their music. For instance, Tupac, Snoop Dog, André 3000, 50 Cent, The Notorious B.I.G, Queen Latifah, MC Lyte, Lil Kim, Da Brat, and many more have built a major highlight for not only themselves but their authentic rap lyrics. 

Old rappers use rap to tell their stories and discuss the trauma and hardships they went through in their lives. Old rap music has had a major impact on people’s lives and discusses what’s going on in the black community. For instance, old rappers bring up how mothers are losing their sons due to gun violence, young girls are getting pregnant and not getting support from their loved ones, and the government is not supporting black families that need help and black-on-black crime.

Rapping is a way for rappers in the 90s to amplify their voices and speak up about the issues in the black community. Their songs have shed light in the public eye and have led society to recognize the issues that are happening within the black community. For instance, rapper mogul Tupac has a song called “Changes.” Tupac released “Changes” in 1998. Tupac spoke up about a lot of issues in “Changes”. Tupac quote: 

And still, I see no changes, can’t a brother get a little peace? 

There’s war in the streets and war in the Middle East

Instead of a war on poverty, they got a war on drugs.

So the police can bother me” – Tupac  

Tupac made the song “Changes” by mentioning the war on drugs, police brutality, reconciliation between black and white people in America, and the perpetuation of poverty/ urban African American culture. In old rap, rappers wanted to make a change within their community. Old rap mission was to state the problems in their songs because they realize that no one is not begin open up about what’s going on and they didn’t want the black community to keep suffering and wanted to find ways to uplift them. 

Years later rap has changed drastically. In this generation we have rappers that don’t speak as much of what’s going on in today’s society. We have some rappers discussing killing people, taking drugs, partying all night and sexual lyrics. The rap game has changed over the years and society believes that rap is not the same anymore. 

There are rappers in this present day that have a different variety of creativity when it comes to their rap lyrics. Right now we have rappers that are on that chart such as Drake, Latto, Lil Uzi Vert, J Cole, Future, Megan Thee Stallion, 21 Savage, Cardi B and many more. These rappers have made it to the charts and their song is on repeat on the radio, tv and more.  

According to an article called “ Old School vs New School Hip Hop. What’s the difference” it discusses a deep dive being old school hip – hop and new school hip hop. It states that old school hip hop is portrayed by its diversity, innovation, quality and influence. For New School Hip Hop it indicates its form of  “drum machine led minimalism, often tinged with elements of rock.” In the article it states how new school hip hop contributes an aggressive delivery and a self- assertive style. 

In the article they describe how modern hip hop create there music. New artists found a way of what their audiences wanted which includes “shorter songs, more radio play and more cohesive LP ( Long Play). Long Play is “(used of records) playing at a slower speed and for a longer time than earlier records”.In today’s generation there are kids that are influenced by what rappers say in the music. Rappers don’t realize that listeners want to be influenced by the action they say in their music. For instance, rapper mogul Future has been in the rapping game for 13 years. Future is known for his mumble-styled vocals and auto tune melodies in his music. 

Future release a song “712PM” on April 29th, 2022. According to songtell , the meaning of the song “712” is about Future rapping about his lifestyle as a rich and successful rapper. The song includes about what’s going on in the streets, how he uses his rap to get luxury items. Also how he continues mentioning his power he has over women and money. In his song he quote : 

Every time I re-up, they gotta advance at least twenty M

I been getting richer and richer my whole career

Took the dope money, went and record a mixtape, it’s rappers way out

Kids are following rappers footsteps when it comes to doing and selling drugs, doing crime activity while they are doing rap music. Some rappers don’t acknowledge how what they say in their music. The exposure to their music might influence their listeners to adopt and follow their negative behaviors and menalities. In old rap music they discuss doing drugs and criminal activity is bad and they tell stories of how people’s lives have turned out. 

Rap has changed over the years. Old rap is still being played till this day and present rappers use samples from old rap. Honoring history is vital in the everchanging rap industry. 

Hello, my name is Kiaira Wheeler. I’m from Washington DC. I am a junior attending Delaware State University. Currently a junior at Delaware State University. I am pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Mass Communications, with a  minor in Digital Media. I am a member of the editorial staff for Her Campus at my college. I have roles within the editorial team at my college, in addition to fulfilling the role of program director for the school's radio station. Furthermore, I am responsible for executing the duties of the corresponding secretary position within the junior class board. Fun Fact about me is I like to write, cook, and watch 80s and 90s movies. My objective within the media sector is to actively support and promote the representation and empowerment of individuals from black and minority communities to amplify their voices. I think it's important to speak up for what you think is right and try to influence society. My primary areas of interest for media discussion include entertainment, education, and social injustice. My objective is to talk about the problems that are occurring and figure out how to solve them.