The Lalastack Of Old Books And Glasses
The Lalastack Of Old Books And Glasses
Her Campus Media

If You Like Classic Books Then You Will Love These Plays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

When we had to read plays in class, they were not the most exciting.  Although the way we read them was different, my teacher would give us parts and each class it would switch.  Then after each act we would have some great discussions and it would make us want to keep on reading.  

A Raisin in the Sun By: Lorraine Hansberry  

A Raisin in the Sun is a play about a couple weeks in the life of an African American family, the Youngers, who lives on the South Side of Chicago in the 1950s. An insurance check comes in for $10,000 and each member of the family has their own idea of what to do with the money. Mama, who wears the pants in the famiy, wants to buy a house.  Her son, Walter Lee, wants to invest in a liquor store with his friends. Walter’s wife, Ruth, agrees with Mama in buying a house so there could be more of an opportunity for their son, Travis.  Lastly, Mama’s daught, Beneatha, wants to use the money for her medical school tuition. While her family doesn’t want to join the white world, Beneatha attempts to find her identity by looking into the past and Africa.

Oedipus Rex By: Sophocles  

Oedipus the King unfolds as a murder mystery, a political thriller, and a psychological whodunit. Throughout this mythic story of patricide and incest, Sophocles emphasizes the irony of a man determined to track down, expose, and punish an assassin, who turns out to be himself.

A Doll’s House By: Henrik Ibsen  

Her husband, Torvald, thinks her careless and childlike, and often calls her his doll. When he is appointed bank director, his first act is to relieve a man who was once disgraced for having forged his signature on a document. This man, Nils Krogstad, is the person from whom Nora has borrowed her money.

Macbeth By: William Shakespeare  

A brave Scottish general named Macbeth receives a prophecy from a trio of witches that one day he will become King of Scotland. Consumed by ambition and spurred to action by his wife, Macbeth murders King Duncan and takes the Scottish throne for himself. He is then wracked with guilt and paranoia.

The Crucible By: Arthur Miller  

The Crucible is a play written by Arthur Miller about the Salem witch trials of 1692: Reverend Parris finds some girls dancing naked in the forest, who claim they were bewitched. A special court investigates these allegations. Over a hundred of Salem’s citizens are accused of witchcraft.

A Midsummer Night’s Dream By: William Shakespeare

A Midsummer Night’s Dream Summary. A Midsummer Night’s Dream takes place in Athens. Theseus, the Duke of Athens, is planning his marriage with Hippolyta, and as a result he is a planning a large festival. … Egeus tells Theseus that Hermia refuses to marry Demetrius, wanting instead to marry Lysander.

*These summaries are a mix of Google, websites, and my words.*

Hi everyone, I am from the Lonestar state, go cowboys!  I lived in several places including some countries which I love writing about, along with writing about lifestyle.  I am majoring in Mass Communications with a with a minor in history!