This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

How Mama Mia Changed Me

Who was psyched to see Mama Mia: Here We Go Again? A ten year wait and they nailed the sequel!  As everyone has been writing about, the Mama Mia movies has many lessons and it had me questioning if I was living my best life.  Therefore I have created a list based off this movie with some knowledge I realized:

1. We should live every day as if it is our last.

We can all be compared to a song that begins with a great opening, a beat of fun and adventure, and an end with no say.  We never know what is going to happen or when its going to end. Therefore we should live every second taking another step, every minute making something happen.  Every hour with honoring another accomplishment and living every day better than the one before. Making our marks on this world, and having a full life like Donna in the movie.

1. We all are dancing queens!!

Admit it or not we are all dancing queens, no matter who you are.  Donna had a band, passion, and dance to keep her going through the rough times.  Therefore we all need to have our own anthem, one that expresses who you are and one that you can dance too on repeat.  With dancing queen, they all knew it represent Donna and the mark she had made on all the people she met.

1. Love comes with no expiration date

In the first movie, Sky and Sophie found love but they thought that was the most important thing in a relationship.  Instead of traveling and seeing the world as they wanted too from the beginning, but Sophie was being held back. Therefore, there is no need to get married or engaged immediately.  If you are in a relationship then focus on each other and what you currently have. If you are single, there is no limit to when you will find love and for some it comes later than sooner.  Donna found love in everyone she had met from friends to family, but love should not hold you back nor should it keep you from your dreams. Therefore Donna loved someone and she could not let it go, therefore she waited and waited until she finally got her happy ending.  Mr. or Mrs. Right is out there, looking to meet you someday or they could be right in front of you.

1. Happiness will always be with you.

Donna found happiness wherever she went and with whoever she met.  She was happy and definitely made her mark at college. Then she followed her dreams and gut to go to Greece and found happiness in three strangers along the way.  Got pregnant with Sophie and found happiness throughout the rest of her life with Sophie and everyone else she met. Especially on the island of Kalokari (Greece) where she stayed and fell in love.  No matter where you go, you will always find happiness. Whether it’s in a new country, state, school, job, or more. There is always a way, just like Donna had.

1. The fashion is indie credible.

The fashion in this movie was a mixture of boho and indie it seemed.  I loved the fashion and am rethinking my wardrobe since it showed that no matter how you look it will always matter to you only.  Donna wore overalls and glamorous outfits with Donna and the Dynamos. She definitely did not care about it being too worn out, tacky, and just stuck to her own opinion.  Ranging from a bathing suit and shorts to a her well known overalls and light blue t-shirt. Along with her legendary rings, cartilage piercing, and beach waves hairstyles in a clip.  Who doesn’t love her fashion sense? Not to mention, Sophie inherited her style too.

1. Dreams are not meant to stay in one place, but to take you places.

If you have not started, fight for what you want and achieve your dreams cause they will happen with time and commitment.  Donna had followed her dreams of leaving everyone and seeing what was out there. She started constructing a hotel from a beat up house and Sophie helped made her mother’s dreams come true.  If you have a dream, go for it and if you don’t then you may regret it. Do anything you can to achieve them cause at the end it can say “Yes! I did it!”

1. Wanderlust the heck out of life!

Wanderlust is the definition of Donna and the Mama Mia series.  She inspired everyone she met to wanderlust at some point in their lives.  Whether it was around the island or to a whole new country. Adventure is one of the keys to life, but in order to start one you have to take a step forward and go for it.  Maybe it will be spontaneous like Harry, but in the second movie she had brought everyone together to Kalokari from her mother to her two best friends, Rosie and Tanya.

1. Be Yourself

The main and last realization from the Mama Mia and Mama Mia: Here We Go Again!, was to be yourself and don’t let anyone take that away from you.  There will always be rumors, rough times, and a stump in the road. Donna went through being pregnant by herself, taking the leap of fate and leaving everyone she loved to accomplish her dream, stayed strong as a single parent, and made others believe in themselves.  In two movies, they had described maybe the life that everyone dreams of and it can too be a reality if you make it. Don’t let anyone steal your shine and follow your heart cause without it, you won’t be human. If you show your true colors and be yourself, everyone will love you for who you are just like Donna had.

Don’t forget, you are a dancing queen!

Hi everyone, I am from the Lonestar state, go cowboys!  I lived in several places including some countries which I love writing about, along with writing about lifestyle.  I am majoring in Mass Communications with a with a minor in history! 
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!