This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Five Ways To Adjust As A Transfer

Changing school can be tough, rough, and flat out lonely. Nobody enjoys being the “new girl,” even if you know a few people there, it’s like your walking around constantly lost. Here  are a few ways to help your transition go a little bit smoother. 

1. Get Involved. Join any organization possible! Maybe for your enjoyment or even a career driven org. It’s easier to make some friends when you join clubs where everywhere there has something inc common.

2. Make a friend in each of your classes. Start with one friend in each of your class. Maybe someone you sit next to or that one person you seem to always catch eyes with when the Professor says something nutty. Whether you have study groups or really blossom into a friendship, it’ll help the new school feel a little less strange.

3. Spend time on campus. Don’t rush home after class! Take your time to explore and see what you like. After all, this is your new home! Maybe find your favorite spot on campus, or discover a hidden study corner too! Get to know your school, you’ll be spending alot of time there and it’ll make you more comfortable. 

4. Bring a positive attitude! You might be at this new school not by choice. But why not make the most out of it? You never know what opportunities will arise. Everything happens for a reason, be ready every day with an open mind and a big smile! 

5. Introduce yourself! Maybe sit in the front of the mirror and practice your “Get to know me,” speech. ‘Hey, my name’s _______ and I just transferred here from ____ and I’m trying not to be shy. “ Sometimes it’s a hit, and sometimes its a miss. You never know unless you try, because you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take! 

Ladies, remember it’s all temporary. In due time you won’t be the “new girl,” any more with patience and these fun tips you’ll be calling your new school HOME in no time! 

Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.