This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Don’t Be Nervous : Open Mic Night

By: Karisa Phelps

Delaware State University is not one of the biggest universities. No it does not have the glitz and glamour as other HBCUs around the United States. No it does not have the media attention that surround other schools such as Howard or Clark Atlanta. However this school has a large amount of something that these other schools do not and that is talent.  Talent has no range here on campus whether it is regarding politics, engineering, or media all of students skills are displayed.There are many of these artist whose natural talents have gone unnoticed. Groups such as SWAU and Music majors have been able to showcase their creations with a showcase of their own. Open Mic Nights at Delaware State University show the diversity in musical talents. Our students have that ranges from singing, rapping, dancing, and playing instruments. Many of the students that perform happen to have their own aspirations of creating a career in the industry. Although the say the dream of making it big is ‘slim to none’ of these preforms lack confidence, energy, and ability to do this full time.The venues may be small the crowds may not fill stadiums but that does not kill the dream of any involved. All involved would describe the experience as exciting and great for not only exposure but creating a connection with their fan base. With many up and coming artist on this campus such as Eugene Black , Gene Gray , 8am and ImaniMarieMusic on display the amount of talent at Delaware State is endless. Music is not seen as seen as unrealistic occupation to many parents and caregivers to their children, many of the amazing abilities on this campus is hidden behind insecurities and doubts. Instead of us all bashing each other with hate. We should appreciate and collaborate. Many who are afraid to take the stage should learn to become comfortable and confident with not only their recordings but their live performances as well. New up and comers such as Maliilove would describe the experience as  “ A little nerve wracking, this was my first time performing but it was nice to be surrounded by positive vibes and genuine support of other students.” Even if you do not make your own music you should still come out to one of the many showcases or Open Mic Night’s on campus. This is not only a good way to build your career and have some fun, but you would also be supporting someone else’s dream. The bigger the fan base the bigger the venue. The bigger the support the more dreams come true.

Welcome to my page, where anything and everything will be discussed.
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!