This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

College Pet Peeves

We all have things that get on our nerves, little things people do that tick us off. If you’re already in college you probably already know, but if you haven’t got here yet it’s like a whole different world. That means, it comes with its own set of things that are annoying, that you don’t always have to deal with off campus.

1. Loud roommates/suitemates

I’m sure some people have to deal with this, some people had to share a room growing up so it’s normal. But sharing a room with your brother or sister is much different than a stranger. My sophomore year I had a suitemate who woke me up every morning because she was on the phone arguing with someone. Every single day. And I didn’t even know her name, we lived in the same space, shared a bathroom, and I felt like I knew all of her problems, but we never really spoke.

1. People who listen to music out loud

I’m sorry but if you don’t have headphones just don’t listen to music until you get in your car or to your room. We don’t all want to listen to what you’re listening to and we might not be in the mood to listen to everything. Leave your speaker in your room and stop carrying it around in your book bag.

1. Cold weather on campus

Now, cold weather is annoying everywhere, but on campus it’s just different. You layer up because it’s cold outside and during your running around from class to class you feel like you’re trapped in furnace, and if you lose just one layer you’re freezing again. Also, no one wants to walk all the way across campus in the cold, snow, wind or rain for food so sometimes you just tough it out and stay in your room and starve.

1.  Trash in the stairs

I feel like this might not be a normal thing that every dorm building has to deal with, but my dorm building always has trash in the stairs. Pizza boxes, grocery store bags of trash, fast food bags, entire full-size kitchen trash bags in the stair case because people are too lazy to take it to the dumpster outside. I get that it’d be more convenient to have a trash room, but it’s disgusting. I can’t imagine that happening in an actual apartment building.

1. Students who answer your questions for the professor

I appreciate people who are just trying to help, but there’s a difference between being helpful and being a know-it-all, and if you’re the second one you know it. I had a classmate ask our professor what his email address was, and as he tried to answer him someone else spoke over him, confusing the student who asked because two people were talking to him at once.

1. Campus Wi-Fi

Nothing is worse than campus Wi-Fi

1. Teachers who don’t grade

You check Blackboard every day waiting to know how you did on an assignment, so you can apply the feedback to the next assignment, and five assignments later you still haven’t received a grade.

1. Teachers who don’t give feedback

Especially if the grade you receive isn’t the greatest. If you don’t tell me what I did wrong, or things I can improve, how am I supposed to know how to make my next assignment better?

1. Sharing a bathroom

We all have to share a bathroom at some point in our life, but communal bathrooms are just the worst. Very different between knowing the hair in the shower is your moms versus it belonging to any one of twenty other girls who live on your floor. Also, it’s just annoying to have to walk through the hallway in just a towel or robe when anyone else can walk through at any time, including random guys you don’t know. (I do not miss freshman dorms).

1. Crowded cafeteria

In high school, it felt like you had to find someone to sit with. If you didn’t have lunch with any of your friends it feels really awkward and it feels like everyone is staring at you because you’re all alone. Most of us knew the people we went to school with in high school, but when you get to college everyday you see faces you don’t recognize so it doesn’t really matter. After running from class to class, and doing this and that, by the time you get to the cafeteria for it to be empty beside the same pizza they serve everyday you just want to sit by yourself.

DSU Student. Mass Communications Major. IG: j.hane.y Twitter: Jhaney__
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!