This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

As we all as young women should know it is breast cancer awareness month! Here are a few quick facts everyone should know about breast cancer.

1. In the United States 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime 

2. 95% of all breast cancers in the United States occur in women over the age of 40.

3. Each year 220,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer and 40,000 will die

4. Breast cancer is the first leading cause of death in women globally

5. Breast cancer survivors is the biggest group of cancer survivors (3.5 million in the US)

6. Breast cancer deaths have been declining since 1990 thanks to early detection, better screening, increased awareness, and new treatment options.

7. A man’s chance of getting breast cancer is 1 in 1,000.

8. Yearly mammograms significantly increase your chances of being a breast cancer survivor compared to a women who does not get an annual mammogram 

Hi everyone, I am from the Lonestar state, go cowboys!  I lived in several places including some countries which I love writing about, along with writing about lifestyle.  I am majoring in Mass Communications with a with a minor in history!