Braided Hairstyles To Try This Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Where hair and innovation intersect, a Black woman can be found. 

On TikTok and Instagram, I’ve seen many users try new braided hairstyles that I was surprised to learn aren’t actually new. Archaeologists found a mummy more than 3,000 years old with braided extensions in 2014, signifying that we’ve known fashion and flare since the beginning of time! Today, and especially in pre-colonial times, varying tribes in Africa can be distinguished by their distinct hairstyles, each holding special significance for different purposes such as social status, age, and spirituality. For example, the women of the Mende people of Sierra Leone hold their hair on a high pedestal – they style their hair intricately to “communicate beauty, sex appeal, and sanity,” according to an article in OkayAfrica about the history of African hair braiding

Braids serve as a protective hairstyle for Black hair, and with an endless list of styles, sizes, patterns, and amount of detail, braids are a timeless hairstyle for members of the Black community. One style I recently learned about and am eager to have my braider try is a traditional Yoruba style called “kolese.”

Originating from one of the three major tribes inhabiting the West African country of Nigeria, this style begins as straight-back cornrows and ends as twists once the hair reaches the nape of the neck. Abibat (@abs.tract), a natural hair content creator from the UK, perfectly describes the easily achievable look while considering that “Alicia Keys braids” may have evolved from this Yoruban style. 

Hair in the Black community holds such significant weight. As people who were once legally forbidden from showing their hair in public because it posed a “threat to the status quo,” the expression of self through unique hairstyles has been a creative outlet for many.

Gracefully honoring and reconnecting with our roots and ancestors, here is a list of Black creators who have flawlessly worn or created some truly stunning braided styles that demonstrate Black originality and innovation, this time through the art of hair styling. Consider giving these hairstyles a try for your next editorial photoshoot, when you need inspo for your next style, or even to celebrate Black History Month before it ends!

Braided styles done by black creatives

Ashley Lazarre (@_aelle_)

Ashley Lazarre created a fashionable look with Koroba braids from the Yoruba tribe.

@empresschiii_

Empress hit us with another amazing variation of Koroba braids.

Ryuan J (@sexyscalps)

Model Learenna (@learenna_) dons a look called “A look inside Grandma’s JUNK drawer” by hairstylist Ryuan J.

QUEEN SARAH (@iamqueensarah7)

Loctician, natural hairstylist, and braider Queen Sarah creates art with hair as her medium of choice.

Kayra Theodore (@kayratheodore)

Kyra experiments by doing out-of-the-ordinary styles with her natural hair, many of which incorporate her signature spunky spirals. Occasionally, her spirals evolve into the full wheel-like shape that characterizes Koroba braids.

I am one of two Campus Correspondents and senior editors at the Her Campus at Delaware State University chapter. I oversee the day-to-day operations of our chapter, including event planning, content creation, editing, and more. My coverage areas include Black media and news. I serve as a writer for the DSU student newspaper, The Hornet, where I cover campus events and updates for the student body. I work for Allied Global Marketing as a Multicultural Publicity Intern, compiling press breaks, social media coverage, and completing guest lists for titles and their promotional events. I also am a freelance journalist with words and commentary in Essence Girls United. I am a senior at Delaware State University, majoring in Public Relations. Before transferring to DSU, I obtained an associate's degree in General Studies from the Community College of Baltimore County. In my free time, I enjoy reading books that amplify and celebrate the experience of the African diaspora, listening to podcasts, writing, and eating at new restaurants. I hope my writing inspires you in someway!