Style > Beauty

Box Braids Are The G.O.A.T. Of Protective Styles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Trendy. Low Maintenance. Long-Lasting. Versatile. Efficient. Box braids are a great protective style for natural hair. These braids are really well-suited for different types of weather and very beneficial. They’re called box braids because sections for each braid are divided into tiny boxes of strands, in a grid-like pattern on the scalp. Originating from Africa circa 3500 B.C. box braids have been around for eons. They can be installed in various ways. People typically use synthetic, or human hair extensions when creating braiding styles like box braids. The traditional braiding technique adds extensions directly at the root whereas the knotless method starts with your natural hair and gradually adds pieces of hair to the braid as you go. This method creates less tension on the scalp and decreases the chances of breakage. However, knotless braids are more prone to becoming frizzy quicker and not lasting as long as traditional box braids. The recommended time frame to keep in box braids is four to six weeks. However, traditional box braids can definitely be stretched out to eight to ten weeks. This is dependent on your upkeep. Definitely keep your scalp moist, cleanse your braids and scalp, and tie  your hair at night. The installation of both methods can range from four to six hours. I can assure you,  it’s worthwhile though. What I love most about box braids is how creative you can be. Box braids can be done in different sizes, colors, decorated with hair accessories, and styled in a plethora of ways. Again they are super beneficial as they protect your hair, increase length retention, and reduce excess breakage. Box braids are a total win if look if you want a break from your hair, but want to look cute while doing so!

Just a girl from the Garden State currently attending Delaware State University studying mass communications. Lover of acting, writing, music, food, sports, coffee, and good vibes.
Hi everyone, I am from the Lonestar state, go cowboys!  I lived in several places including some countries which I love writing about, along with writing about lifestyle.  I am majoring in Mass Communications with a with a minor in history!