This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Body Positivity

By: Nadirah Livingston

Every time I click on Instagram I see the same girls getting praised. They usually have flat stomachs with hour glass figures.

My first thought when seeing these posts are what about those girls who don’t look like that, don’t they deserve recognition as well. This is not only a problem on Instagram but on every social platform and even television. Women get tired of seeing what society believes is the perfect body, when women come in all shapes and sizes. I believe everyone’s body type should be celebrated and shown they are beautiful.

One way to start is telling girls at a young age that they are beautiful just the way they are. Standing a child in front of mirror and teaching them to love themselves can build a child’s confidence tremendously. We also must let other women who don’t fit society’s norm get some light shined on them.

For instance, maybe Victoria’s Secret should allow all kinds of statues to walk in their runway. What woman doesn’t like shopping there, so all their customers should be represented. Everyone should be able to look at themselves in the mirror and think “I’m Beautiful.”

Here are some body positivity tips:

• Listen to a song that empowers you
  • Step away from people who criticize you
  • Start appreciating the beauty in others

As RuPaul says “ If you can’t love yourself how the hell you gonna love somebody else”

Just a girl from Jersey with big dreams attending Delaware State University. I'm currently majoring in mass communications with a concentration in digital media. One day you'll see my name rolling in the credits but until then enjoy my articles.
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!