Culture > News

Before You Buy A Stanley Cup, Read This

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

The limited edition Valentine’s Day Stanley Cup was released at Target on December 31, so make sure you get that special someone one of those gorgeous pink and red cups before they sell out! Oh wait— you can’t because they sold out before February even started.

For the past decade, several different water bottles have gained traction as being the next big thing. Yeti cups, Brümate, Hydro Flask, and now Stanley Cups have taken the world by storm.

Stanley is a brand of stainless steel bottles that provide top technology designed to keep your drink hot or cold. Stanley showcases a plethora of options to choose from whether that be the classic tumbler everyone is dying to have, coffee cups, water bottles, and more. Of course, with whatever bottle you choose, there are plenty of different colors to choose from so choose wisely.

The Stanley craze is nothing new to 2024, as many parents faced their young children’s requests for a Stanley for Christmas. It sparked a conversation between users as to whether or not children really needed such an expensive cup. A part of growing up is wanting to fit in, so it makes sense that every kid wants one because someone else at school has one. It didn’t stop there either, as some were subject to bullying because they didn’t have a $50 water bottle. 

As seen on TikTok, a mother named Dayna Motycka spoke out about how she bought her daughter a Walmart cup that her daughter specifically requested. After her daughter went back to school, several other kids made fun of her Walmart cup calling it “fake” and “not as cool.” Children bullying other children into buying high-end items to be “cool” produces waste on our planet. According to Greenmatters.com, only “about 35%” of waste Americans produce gets recycled or composted.

@dayna_motycka

I in fact did not keep it short and sweet 🤦🏼‍♀️ apparently needed to get this off my chest! 🤷‍♀️ #stanleycups #valentinestanley #targetstanley #parentsteachingkids #parentingtips101

♬ original sound – Dayna Motycka

It’s safe to say that Stanley’s are popular amongst young people, but the problem continues. Grown adults were seen running through Target in order to get ahold of the limited edition Valentines Day cups. Where is the decorum?! In the video there is a sign that reads, “Stanley quantity limit 2 per guest,” due to the fact that people are buying them in large quantities in order to resell them at a jacked up price. Everyone wants a Stanley cup now, but trends like these only last until something new comes out.

People are even showcasing their gigantic Stanley collections like it’s a trophy. I know the colors are cute, and the quality speaks for itself as they are “manufactured to last a lifetime,” but do you really need multiple?

Stanley is a company that works to create sustainability as they write on their website, “Stanley is committed to sustainable practices across our entire supply chain, from manufacturing to recycled materials to packaging.” They do this by using recycled stainless steel, and consistently trying to increase the percentage of recycled material in their cups. 

We know that Stanley does not endorse the resale market of their bottles as they display on their website, “Not eligible for discounts, promotions or resell. Multiple & large orders are subject to cancellation.” During a time when we are living through a climate crisis, the least that we can do is remember our three R’s: reduce, reuse, and recycle.

Stanley is doing their part. Are you?

It is counterintuitive for people to buy several water bottles that were created to improve sustainability. The mass consumption of these bottles, turns into a mass production of products we don’t need. Plenty of Hydroflasks, another trendy water bottle that lost its hype, sit on shelves at TJmaxx as TikTok user @ShannonKardasssh shows. I have no doubt the same will happen to Stanleys in the next few years. Unfortunately, the vast majority of these bottles will end up in landfills instead of properly being recycled which creates another problem for when the trend dies out.

If you absolutely need a new water bottle, then I’m in no way saying don’t get a Stanley. I’m just saying be more mindful when following these trends. A good rule of thumb would be to ask yourself: ‘Is this something I actually need, or am I just buying it because it’s popular?’

My name is Savannah Smalley, I am a freshman at Delaware State University, and I am majoring in Agriculture with a concentration in plant sciences, and a minor in environmental science. My goal is to become a successful botanist, and I will achieve that. I am a senior editor for my campus’s chapter of Her Campus. My hobbies include reading, writing, playing video games, growing plants, and playing sports. When I am not writing for Her Campus, I take part in other organizations at my school such as the alliance for minorities participation (AMP), minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and related sciences (MANNRS), and The environmental alliance (TEA). I’ve been writing my entire life through stories, essays, newspaper articles, and more as a way to express myself. I graduated high school with an award in creative writing, and I plan on continuing my writing journey through my college career.