African Swine Fever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

African Swine Fever

The first appearance of this deadly virus, African Swine fever, was in the early 20th century in Kenya. Hemorrhaging, fever, a loss of appetite and energy, red or purple skin patches, skin ulcers, breathing problems, as well as diarrhea and bloody vomiting are some of the symptoms you may see in pigs and boars if they obtain this virus. ASF is a highly contagious and resistant virus and can spread very easily through many forms of contact such as inhaling. Most animals die within 10 days of catching ASF.

Wednesday September 5, 2018 there was about 8 breakouts within China, who has the largest swine industry. According to the article this is not the first time ASF has spread outside of Africa, however, this is the first time since the 1960’s where it had been spotted in Europe and America. The FAO, Food and Agriculture Organization, doesn’t know for sure how it reached China although they believe it was from a nearby country through shipping and processing pigs or pork products.

If the virus continues to spread implications for the Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam, to whom also have large pig industries could be in danger. This strain of the virus, according to the article, is “extremely virulent causing fever and death from multiple organ, system failures and internal bleeding” (Arkin).

In my opinion I believe, although many of the pig industry will lose a lot of money, they should slaughter all of their pigs who have been in contact with or in vicinity of the sick ones. They have the money to produce sell and rebuy any pigs lost but for the safety of everyone and the livestock killing them is the best way to go. 

Hey
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!