This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

I usually begin with the word VAGUE

Wordle has become one of the most popular online games amongst procrastinators in college! Bought by the New York Times, this game has been the epitome of Spring Semester 2022. For anyone who doesn’t already know what it is, (I would be very surprised) It is a daily game in which you have 6 attempts to guess a 5-letter word. Each letter of the words you guess will either show up gray (that letter is not in the correct word), yellow (the letter is in the word, just not in the correct spot), or green (Congratulations! You are one step closer to guessing!). Although it may be considered a “time suck”, there are also some benefits that can justify the amount of time you spend playing not only the original Wordle, but the plethora of spinoffs that are roaming the internet.

THE BENEFITS:

1. You become your own thesaurus
    You’re on the third row, trying to come up with the perfect word that uses only left-over letters and somehow you come up with the word BRAWL. Congratulations! You have found a more intelligent-sounding way to say “fight”. Soon enough, you will find yourself using these clever five-letter words in your papers, emails, and text messages! Your professors will not only be impressed with your writing but astonished by your expansive vocabulary.
  2. Your mind will overflow with new knowledge
    Before playing Wordle, I never knew what an ANVIL was, but now I know it’s used to mold metal! How could you resist learning cool and random five-letter words? Soon you will be a five-letter word mastermind.
  3. A healthy boost of dopamine
    After long nights of studying and difficult papers, you may feel as if you are hanging on by a thread. In college, it can be easy to find unhealthy ways to reclaim your dopamine. Imagine being able to solve your low dopamine levels through a five-letter word game. It is proven that winning video games increases dopamine levels. The positive thing about Wordle, is that there is only one game a day so it’s impossible to become too much of an addiction. This means you can play, then get straight back to your work prepared to win the day.
  4. A confidence booster
    Soon you will find yourself figuring out the word easier and quicker than ever before. You will begin to feel like the five-letter word mastermind that you are. When playing the game, you are forced to strategize to ensure that you don’t waste precious letters. Wordle will give you the confidence to get your schoolwork done more efficiently as you must do so in the game.

Are you convinced? If not, here are a few spinoffs that are pretty fun!

• Octurdle: Find 8 words at the same time!
  • Sedordle: Now try 16 words at the same time!
  • Nerdle: Find the math equation of the day… and the answer!
  • Duotrigordle: Find 32 words at the same time!
  • Heardle : Find the song of the day from listening to small increments!
  • Semantle: Find the word based on semantics. The word you start with will tell you how close you are!
  • Kilordle: Find 1000 words at the same time!

Have a great time wordling!

Hanako Goetz

DePauw '25

I am a student writer at DePauw! I am really excited to join HerCampus!