This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

During the month of December, I have to have some holiday tunes playing in the background while I put up Christmas decorations, bake sugar cookies, or wrap presents. While there are tons of premade playlists out there, I prefer to make my own. Here are a few of the songs that have to go on my playlist every year. 

All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey

This song is pretty much a given. It is like a Christmas anthem. When I put it on it gives me all the holiday vibes. 

Last Christmas by Wham

This is a throwback but is so good. There have been covers done by artists like Ariana Grande but I personally like the original. 

’tis the damn season by Taylor Swift 

I couldn’t make this list without including a song from Taylor’s latest alumb. This isn’t a super festive song but for a 2020 Christmas playlist it’s perfect. If you want a more traditional Taylor Swift holiday tune, try Christmas Tree Farm. 

Baby, It’s Cold Outside 

Any version of this song is just amazing. This year I decided to add the Elf version because I love Zooey Deschanel. 

Cozy Little Christmas by Katy Perry

This song came out in 2018, so its fairly new but it still has such a sentimental feel to it. I love this song because you can’t listen to it without bopping your head. 

Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms 

There is nothing better than holding a cup of hot coco, sitting by the Christmas tree, and listening to this song. You will love it and so will your parents. 

I Am the Grinch (feat. Fletcher Jones) by Tyler The Creator

This is a song off of the new animated Grinch movie (that I saw twice in theaters). I instantly fell in love with the soundtrack. This is a rap song but it still is festive someone. It is really different but I love it. 

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by Darlene Love

I have never been able to listen to this song without belting out the words as long as possible. It is just an iconic song. 

Mistletoe by Justin Bieber

I have never been a huge Justin Bieber fan, but this song is so catchy. It’s a little softer but is so happy too. 

Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee

This is another classic. I just feel like it would be an injustice to Christmas to not include this song. 

Hope you enjoyed this list of songs to get you into the holiday spirit! 

Hi, I'm Zosha! I'm a senior and I'm also the Senior Editor of the DePauw HerCampus Chapter. I'm an English Writing Major and Psychology Minor. In addition to HerCampus, I am also a Bonner School, Fiction Editor for the Midwestern Review, and a member of Alpha Chi Omega. My obsessions are otters, The Office, and flowers.
Hi, I'm Katherine! I'm an Anthropology major. I am a member of the Honors Scholar Program, as well as a Bonner Scholar.