Culture > Digital

Transitioning From The Digital Age: A Craving For The Past

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

The rarity of nostolgia

We live in a new age where the internet has allowed us to be able to use our phones to take photos, play music, stream any movie, and capture memories on video. This all-in-one device has made life easier and more convenient all within the powers of our fingertips. With such a powerful device accessible to so many people, why is it that we are seeing an influx of sales for vinyl records? With music streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music, why go buy a physical object that costs more, is susceptible to scratches, and requires more effort to enjoy the same sounds?

The answer for many is the simple fact that it’s a rare experience from the past which makes it a novelty very few people get to enjoy today.

The same influx of sales occurred in the camera industry during the COVID-19 lockdown.

Being online every single day for school, work, and any form of communication at the time caused people to crave something physical, something that our phones or laptops couldn’t do. Thus, making the craft of film photography once again appreciated by the mainstream of people despite the images costing more than ones stored on your phone.

Here’s a few of the novelties from the past that are getting a new wave of appreciation more recently.

Cam Recorders

Film Cameras

Vinyls

Drive-in Movies

Cassette Tapes

Hello, My name is Meredith and I am currently a first year student at DePauw University as a Chicago Posse Scholar. I am interested in photography, journalism, graphic design, and media production. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions! Email: meredithjoncha_2026@depauw.edu Instagram: mere303