This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Most college students are really bummed right now about having to be at home. This is completely understandable, as part of our college experience has kind of been taken away from us. However, it’s important to try to look on the bright side. While being home might kind of stink, and we might miss our friends, there are things that we can’t do at school that we can do now that we’re home. Taking advantage of these things and being grateful for this time we have might just be the key to making it more bearable. Here are a few ideas.

Spend Time with Family 

This one’s the biggest one, I think. As college students, we don’t get to see our families as much as we used to. Now, most of us are in the same house with our families, or at least part of our families, for this extended period of time. Watch a movie with them, or take part in a game night. Enjoy eating meals with them, and make sure to cherish the time we have with our families.

Spend Time with Pets

Okay, I know some people can have pets on campus, but most of us can’t. I’m sure Fido and Fluffy are probably thrilled that their whole family is back. I keep seeing this post about how someone’s dog was so happy his family was home that he sprained his tail from wagging it so much; so they’re happy you’re home! Teach your dog a new trick, pet your cat, whatever. We don’t usually get to hang out with our pets this much, so we should all take advantage of that.

Take a Trip Down Memory Lane

I have an entire box of mementos and photos in my closet from grade school. There’s no need for me to bring this to college with me during the year, and before last week, I hadn’t looked at the stuff in the box for years! It was nice to see photos of all my old friends, and pull out old journals and yearbooks. This isn’t something I get to do very often, so it was kind of a treat for me.

Take a Bath

Okay, maybe this one sounds silly. But I know that during the school year, I don’t have access to a tub, and I think that even if I did, I wouldn’t want to take a bath in a communal tub. But now that I’m home, I have a tub that I know is clean, and a whole supply of bath bombs, as well as lots of novels I’ve been meaning to finish. This is a great way to relax that I don’t have during the school year!

Sleep in Your Own Bed

Hard, lumpy, twin sized beds (that are in cold dorms, oftentimes, if you’re greek!) are kind of awful. But most of us at home have beds that are much more comfortable, and we often even have our own rooms. Take advantage of the fact that you can get 8 hours of sleep in a comfy bed, and take lots of naps!

Jackie Ebel

DePauw '21

Jackie is a current senior communication major at DePauw University in Indiana. She's lived in Massachusetts, Texas, and Maryland. She loves swimming, ice chai lattes, and the band Walk the Moon. Jackie is the editor for the profile and features sections of DePauw's branch of HerCampus.
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.