This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Susanna Wilcox is the DePauw Women’s Lacrosse Coach. It is their first year as a varsity team and they started the season off with a bang, with a 26-6 win against Wilmington.

HerCampus: First off, would you mind telling me a little about yourself?

Susanna Wilcox: I grew up in Wales, in the United Kingdom. I went to University of Massachusetts.

HC: Wait, how did you get to Massachusetts from the UK?

Susanna: My mom is from California, we always went back and forth from Wales to the U.S. to visit relatives. And, the colleges and sports in U.S. are better. University of Massachusetts had a good women’s lacrosse program, so that is where I ended up.

HC: And, the job as women’s lacrosse coach here at DePauw, how did you find out about it?

Susanna: I am friends with the Assistant Field Hockey Coach. When she found out that they were looking for a coach for lacrosse she immediately texted me.

HC: Are you enjoying being a coach?

Susanna: I am liking the job a lot. It has been a good challenge, especially with this being the first year for lacrosse as a varsity sport.

HC: Was it hard getting players?

Susanna: We were incredibly lucky with how many people came over from the lacrosse club team and we got a really good freshman class. I could not have scouted a class better than the one we got.

HC: You had your first game, how did it go?

Susanna: We won! 26 to 6, which was really exciting. There was a nice balance of who scored as well. Different players scored with multiple goals and assists. This is what we want for the team, we don’t want one forward who is our entire offense. We want to develop the program to have balance, and so far so good, but we still have a lot of things to work on and improve on.

HC: How do you think the girls are feeling about their win?

Susanna: I would say pretty good, our first game got canceled due to the weather, we were ready to play someone other than our own team. We scrimmaged against IU earlier on, but that was only about 7 practices into the season.

HC: What do you believe is in store for the upcoming season?

Susanna: I believe we have all the pieces we need to be successful, but I am not sure what success means to us as a team yet. But, I am impressed with the players that we have and I am really excited to see what we can do.

HC: What are your future goals for the team?

Susanna: We want to be a winning team. Watching other teams at DePauw winning makes me want it even more and hopefully we can get there.