Style Evolution: What to Wear When Mother Nature Can’t Pick a Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Brutal.  Merciless. Downright unbearable.

That’s how this winter has felt to most of the Midwest, if not all of it. By this point we’ve probably lost count of just how many polar vortex’s we’ve survived, times we’ve slipped on the ice and inches we’ve trudged through. And we’ve seen Alaska laugh all the way through as they remained many, many degrees above us in temperature and precipitation beatings.

The worst part? March is here, and we’re still enduring nighttime drops from mid sixties to snow, thus throwing on sweaters instead of sundresses. While the temperature is slowly – very slowly – creeping up, even the 10 day forecast shows us that Mother Nature hasn’t quite decided if it’s truly spring yet.

While dressing for survival in this ever-changing weather is still a necessity, it’s possible to do so with a bit more spring in our step. Maybe by doing so, we’ll convince the world to throw us some blooming flowers and above-freezing temps. 

BRIGHTEN UP YOUR MAKEUP

Slight makeup adjustments can brighten up the darkest of winter days. Some of the quickest fixes to a normal beauty routine involve adding some color. Try adding some subtle eye shadow on the outer corner of your eye, such as an icy, pastel blue. Bold lipstick in a Barbie pink color brings an instant spring feel with it.

And, of course, the no fail trick of spring – bronzer. Sweep gently in the shape of the number “3” on each side of your face, tracing your jaw line to just below your cheekbone, then up your temple and across your forehead.

THROW ‘HAPPY COLORS’ IN YOUR WARDROBE

Nothing screams spring like happy colors, so start pulling them out now. Anything from ballet pink pastels to sunshine neon workout clothes during that long overdue nature park run. Mind over matter is key, so ditch the black and appeal to your lighter senses.

START WITH SPRING TRENDS

Incorporating spring-like trends is an easy way to transition into (hopefully) warmer weather. Denim on denim is one of my favorite recurring trends. Try a light chambray shirt with high-waisted dark denim pants. Accessorize with tan booties, a statement necklace and a topknot, and you’ll be ready for the sun. Top your look off with a vest or pea coat if it’s still a little frigid outside.

Rompers aren’t going anywhere either, so why not break out your favorite with some tights and flats, making it stretch into the colder months. If it doesn’t have long sleeves, add a comfy cardigan for warm layers.

Another trend making the Pinterest rounds is crop tops and cardigans. If you’re lucky, you can pair your cozy sweater and chic tank with a pair of shorts for the perfect low-60s-darty look.

Dressing for the in-between-seasons weather can be frustrating, to say the least. Here’s to hoping that our return from spring break brings some higher temps, more sandals and sundresses, and frequent fraturdays!