Stacy O’Brien: Giving back one day at a time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Stacy Biedermann O’Brien is a DePauw graduate, a wife, a mother of three girls (plus their beloved dog, Ringo), and a true inspiration to anyone who gets the privilege of meeting her. While attending DePauw, Stacy was a member Kappa Alpha Theta, a reporter for WGRE and was also involved in various projects on campus.  Since she graduated in 1987 Stacy’s life has been filled with rewarding experiences through volunteer work and lending a helping hand to others. 

Here’s a rundown of some of her impressive achievements:

• Avon Walk Chicago- 2008
  • Haiti Mission Trip with Little by Little.- 2010

(Stacy was there when the Earthquake hit, and stayed 3 extra days to help treat injuries from the disaster)

• Avon Walk New York- 2011
  • The Susan G Komen 3-Day Breast Cancer Walk- 2010, 2013 Chicago
  • Safe families program where she hosts children in her home –Current

HerCampus: Hi Mrs. O’Brien!  First off, thank you so much for taking the time to talk with us!  You are truly an extraordinary woman who many girls can learn so much from. To start things off, can you explain to us what you were doing on your trip to Haiti in 2010, and what inspired you to take this trip?

Stacy O’Brien: I was on a medical mission trip led by “Little by Little”, a not-for-profit organization that helps Haitians by providing a medical clinic four times a year.  I was a non-medical member of the team and helped with treating patients with minor injuries, checking in patients to the clinic, taking blood pressure and scribing for doctors.  I went because one of my dear friends had gone and was on the board of “Little by Little”. She described the experience as life changing and I decided I wanted to help in any way possible.

My experience was more than life changing. Unfortunately the earthquake struck the last day of clinic as we were walking down the mountain. We were supposed to head home the next day and instead were treating severely wounded patients at a local hospital.

HC: That is unbelievable.  It is hard to imagine how someone would respond in an situation like that. How has volunteering impacted your daily life?

SO: Volunteering makes me feel like I have a purpose. I find joy in seeing my safe family children smile! Or seeing the Haitians in the clinic get overly excited about a tooth brush and possibly a used pair of gym shoes. I love learning, growing and experiencing different cultures. Walking to find a cure for breast cancer makes me feel like I’m helping in some little way.

HC: It’s hard not to smile when you talk about how your experience have influenced you. What has been the most rewarding feeling you’ve gotten from something you have done for someone else?

SO: I feel rewarded almost daily. One of my goals in life is to somehow, in some way, try to pay it forward every day of my life. Whether it is holding a door for someone,  listening to a friend in need, or giving one of my kids a hug. I would have to say I feel blessed to have been given the opportunity to volunteer. I think the most rewarding feeling I have experienced was in Haiti. I was able to take care of a little boy who had pneumonia and needed to be on a nebulizer. I was able to sit with him and his mother as they returned to the clinic on day two for more treatments and thanked me for helping them.

HC: It really sounds like you are paying it forward every day.  You mentioned your kids, what do you hope to teach your children from volunteering and giving back?

SO: I hope that my volunteer work has had an impact on my children. I truly think it has. They love having safe family children in our house. Our last placement was a little 4 year old girl who stayed with us for a month while her mother tried to find a job and a home. The safe family program has shown them that they are very lucky to have parents who love them, to be healthy, and to have a safe place to sleep at night. I hope they appreciate what they have, and in turn will strive to give back in life and pay it forward!

HC: I bet your girls grow up to take on more volunteer experiences that help them pay it forward just like you. Finally, to bring back some DePauw memories, what was your favorite thing about DePauw and what do you miss most about the University?

SO: DePauw was four of the best years of my life! I made friends that I can truly call my “best” friends ever. I was lucky enough to be part of Kappa Alpha Theta where I lived with some amazing girls, two whom I still talk to almost daily, 26 years after graduating. What I remember about DPU are my true friends. Sharing, experiencing, and growing up. … And several country runs.. Trips to IGA, Marvin and his garlic cheeseburger and cheese fries. I was able to do some exciting winter term jobs and take classes that shaped me into the person I am today. I guess what I miss the most of college was how carefree we all were and how life was just easy.

HC: DePauw really is an amazing place to grow, experience and learn. Mrs. O’Brien, thank you again for taking the time to talk to us about the amazing life-changing opportunities you have experienced.  We can’t wait to hear about what other amazing things you do later in life!

Rose Overbey

DePauw '20