This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

With less than two weeks to go, Spring Break ’11 is fast approaching, and with that will come a whirlwind of fruity drinks, floral dresses and tropical destinations. Sunday afternoons scheduled for studying have instead been filled with preparatory haircuts and manicures, textbooks have been replaced with copies of Vogue and packing lists have been scribbled on the back of every hand out and worksheet for the past month. After hours on end of exhausting planning and primping, the time has finally come to sit back and enjoy the anticipation of the trip that you know will be the best to date.

But of course this is easier said than done. The hours seem painstakingly slow and you can never seem to cross off enough days in your planner. The only rewards of the wait are the clothes, and any girl can attest to the fact that they make the entire process more than bearable.

From looking at them hanging in your closet to trying them on when you just can’t wait any longer, they are one of the most crucial elements of spring break. The light blue Victoria Secret cover up that will look great against your tan, the sandals you couldn’t resist buying from Urban Outfitters, your wardrobe now emulates one of a native Floridian. That is, until you open the door all the way and expose the hangers weighted down by knit sweaters and the shelves piled high with long sleeve shirts.

These are clothes you once carefully snipped the tags off of and wore with your shoulders thrown back because you had that new-outfit high. That feeling like you were on sitting the top of the world and your cashmere sweater had perched you there. Now the only feeling you get from pulling it over your head is the instant static that glues your hair to the side of your face.

So why not push those worn in winter clothes to the back of your closet and give your static guard a break for the first time in months? Let your shoulders finally get some much-needed sun on them and show off your new pedicure before it chips? The answer is simple; we are still in Indiana.

It is a depressing fact but the constant rain and forty degree weather won’t let us forget it, even as hard as we try to. Slipping into that crop top will not bring the sun out from behind those nasty grey clouds, it will only give you frostbite. And those pretty little white flats almost guarantee you to land your first step smack dab in the middle of a mud puddle.

And while it may be harder than gathering enough focus to study for that midterm you have just hours before your flight to Panama, you have to force your feet into your Hunters for just a little while longer.

But the weather is not a total loss; it forces us to be creative and create innovative outfits. And what girl doesn’t like a challenge? While it may still feel like winter, the highly anticipated spring season is just around the corner, so why not harness that excitement the next time you are getting ready for a long day of classes.

Not with a jean shorts, but try pairing a tank top and cardigan with that new lightweight scarf you’ve been dying to wear from J. Crew. Or wear your hair in beachy-waves with a pastel colored headband, just so long as these outfits are an even balance practical and a little bit of wishful thinking.

So the next time you reach into your closet, remember that spring break is only days away and the spring season is just around the corner.

Katie Tangri is a senior at DePauw University, class of 2011, studying Communication and Sociology. She is a member of the Alpha chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta, a speaking and listening consultant and the Vice President of Program for Panhellenic Council. Her interests include shopping, baking and reading. She hopes to get a job at a non-profit organization upon graduation.