Style > Beauty

Skincare Night Routine: Create Your Own Spa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

After a tiring week of studying, don’t forget to spend one little night detoxing and refreshing yourself. Especially during this sensitive time, most of us need to maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle at home. In this article, I’ll be sharing some skincare routines and relaxing treatments to create a pampering and simple spa day in your very own home.

Double Cleansing

Remember to cleanse your face twice! First, with an oil-based cleanser or micellar water to wipe off makeup and oil buildup during the day. Then, with a water-based cleanser to get deeper into pores and address your particular skin type or concern (hydrate, smooth, treat acne). This two-step process will help your skin be clean, bright and glowing.

Exfoliating

This step can remove dead skin cells that can accumulate on the skin’s surface, leading to dull, dry skin. Exfoliating also allows serums, treatments, and moisturizers you apply afterward to penetrate deeper and work effectively. This step should only be done 1-2 times a week.

Steaming

If you don’t have any fancy facial steamer (like at the spa) at home, go ahead and steam your face for a few minutes by leaning over a bowl or a sink of hot water. This will cleanse and enlarge your pores, helping to promote clear and glowing skin.

Masking

Choose a suitable facial mask depending on your skin conditions. It’s one of the easiest ways to get healthy and supple skin within a few minutes: hydrating, refining pores, reducing fine lines, etc.     

Tone

Apply a small amount of toner to a soft cotton ball or pad and gently wipe your face. It removes excess dirt, corrects and balances the pH of your skin, and helps control acne.

Moisturizing

After the previous steps for a fresh and clean skin, moisturizing allows the skin to breathe and gives you a soft, glowing and revitalized look. Apply the skincare products with an order: serum, eye cream, spot treatment and then moisturizer.

I hope everyone can enjoy these relaxing moments. Make the most of your time for your skin and your loved ones!

Valerie Tran

DePauw '23

I'm a Freshman at Depauw University and hope to major in Biology. I'm interested in beauty, music, and lifestyle!
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.