self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

Prioritizing Mental Health in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

As I am nearing the end of my first year at DePauw, I wish I had been warned on how hard this school year was going to be on my mental health. It took me a whole semester of debilitating anxiety to work up the courage to get help.

When I finally decided to seek help, I realized that DePauw has a plethora of resources for mental health and getting the care you need. For anybody reading this who is struggling with any sort of mental pain, you are not alone. I know firsthand how hard it can be to simply get to class every day, there is hope.

Throughout my first year, I have discovered ways to prioritize my mental health while still holding a balance between my classes and my activities. 

Giving yourself a break

I created a system for myself that has prevented me from getting burnt out by school and my activities. I do as much school work as I can during the day, then when evening hits (typically around 5 pm), I stop. I give myself a break, and I relax. I do something good for myself that isn’t tied to school work. Nighttime is when I practice my self-care and breathe. I am still getting my work done throughout the day, so I don’t fall behind, but I also don’t work myself to death.

Take advantage of DePauw’s resources

Through DePauw’s counseling services, I have met the best therapist I have ever had. My therapist has helped me get to a point with my anxiety where it is no longer debilitating and I can go to class without falling into a panic. Not only has counseling services helped me, but so has the CARE team. Towards the end of last semester, I met with the CARE team weekly to help me balance my school work into a manageable schedule. Not only have these two organizations helped my mental health a ton, so have professors. Majority of the time my professors have been really understanding and offered help. 

There are many more ways to support yourself in your struggles here on DePauw’s campus, these aren’t the only ones. Talk with your professors and your friends. Vocalize your needs. Take care of yourself, you don’t have to suffer in silence. You are loved and supported. 

Anthropology Major and Geology/Education Minor Co-President of HC DPU Passionate about learning