P.J. Mitchell ’06

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

After being a campus celebrity as a student at DePauw, P.J. Mitchell ’06 is now recognized as a celebrity faculty member. Assistant baseball coach, Beta’s House Dad, your sorority’s Greek Life Coordinator, Noon Hoops basketball superstar…the list goes on and on.  P.J. was highly involved throughout his years as a student and continues his DePauw involvement as he has worked for the university since he graduated in 2006.  When he is taking a break from making DPU a better place, P.J. can be found rocking out on his guitar or singing karaoke to his favorite Avril Lavigne songs. While P.J. continues to grace DePauw with his presence, he remembers his days as a student and offers advice for making your DePauw years some of the best of your life!

Hometown: Clarendon Hills, IL
Current City: Greencastle, IN
Greek House:Phi Kappa Psi
Major:Communications

Her Campus: What campus activities were you involved in during your time as a DePauw student?
P.J. Mitchell: Member of the DePauw baseball team, DCS volunteer, current member of “Team Red Tape”-Greencastle’s top ranked live trivia team (statistics cannot be verified).

HC: What is your favorite part about working at DePauw?
PM: I love working with the students. As a baseball coach here for the past four and a half years, and now working in Greek life, I’ve had two pretty different angles. But, being a part of the college process-watching the way the students mature, build their relationships, and get a little closer to figuring out who they want to be-is a lot of fun. Having the opportunity to play even just a tiny part in that process is pretty cool.

HC: What all do you do for the campus?  
PM: Assistant to the Regional Manager.

HC: What is your ideal job? 
PM: I would like to be The Bachelor. Hopefully they change their approach in who they select from “good looking and charming men” to “pity.”

HC: What do you value most about your experience at DePauw? 
PM: The relationships. We have really, really great people-students, professors, coaches, staff members-who make your life a little better each day by being around them. No matter what you are going through, it’s a really hard place to have a bad day. This is a special place with special people.  

HC: Where was your favorite place(s) on campus? 
PM: Walker Field (DePauw’s baseball field)…still is. Nothing beats baseball here on a beautiful spring day.

HC: What is your best DePauw memory? 
PM:Too many to pick just one, so I guess I’ll take the easy way out and say, “I’d like to think I haven’t had it yet.” If hard pressed, I would have to go with “the kick”.

HC: What suggestions do you have for current students? For seniors about to graduate in May? 
PM: For current students, enjoy your time at DePauw…eat it up.  Don’t take your four years here for granted.  Engage in your classes, engage in the DePauw community, and soak up all the opportunities you are given at DePauw. For seniors, don’t stress out about life after college right now.  You’ll have plenty of time for that after school.  Enjoy the last two months you have on campus and finish strong in all aspects of your college life. If it hasn’t already, the world is going to give you an opportunity to be great. Keep your eyes open and be ready to take advantage of it.

Katie Tangri is a senior at DePauw University, class of 2011, studying Communication and Sociology. She is a member of the Alpha chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta, a speaking and listening consultant and the Vice President of Program for Panhellenic Council. Her interests include shopping, baking and reading. She hopes to get a job at a non-profit organization upon graduation.