Style

The Perfect Dresses for Formal Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

With the excitement of Spring Break, I think many of us have forgotten that formal season is just around the corner! Spring Break is over, but there is still time to quickly shop for your perfect formal look at an affordable price. Today, I will be rounding up some of my favorite dress inspiration for the formal season! I hope this inclusive list of a variety of styles and trends helps you find exactly what you’re looking for.

Beautiful & Sophisticated

ASTR the Label

Lace Midi Dress

This first look not only draws attention because of its beautiful detail and color, but it is also a wonderful way to ease into spring style. For those of you that don’t feel as comfortable in a shorter dress but are also not wanting to take the “formal” idea too far (i.e. a prom dress), this is the perfect length for you. It is $89, but it is much less expensive than the luxury brand dress of this style. Plus, because this style of dress is so on trend, it is offered at many other stores, such as Lulus, for lower prices. With this dress, you’ll look chic and sophisticated but equally as ready for a good time.

Classic Black

It is a well-known FACT that you cannot go wrong with black. And with these dresses, that statement is truer than ever. They are all so flattering, not only because of the color, but also because of the way that each dress accentuates the neck line. The first dress, from Venus, is only $49, and its slit at the top of the thigh makes it a major standout. The second dress, as it is almost $200, serves as more of an inspiration. It is easy, however, to find little black cocktail dresses such as this one at almost any of your favorite stores. I decided to include the red as well for further inspo. The third dress, which is Calvin Klein, I highly recommend, as it can be used for many more occasions after formal. Even though it is $149, you will find yourself wearing it over and over again. Plus, the stunning bell sleeves are a must-have. I have a dress very similar to this one, and I always find myself feeling my best, most confident self when wearing it. The last dress, also from Venus, may be my favorite on this list. The stunning jewel design combined with the sexy V-neck make for an absolutely stunning look, and it’s only $49! Pair any of these with a bold red lip and heels, and you’re set for a fun-filled night.

Fun & Flirty

This look from LaLa Mira gives me major Cinderella vibes, and I LOVE it. In a way, it’s a throwback to our homecoming days, and it’s not terribly priced at $118. Again, this style dress can be found for bargain prices at other stores, hence why I’ve included a couple others below. The stunning detail on the top with the girly, skater style skirt makes this look perfect for dancing.

$85, also from LaLa Mira       

$95, Niceoo

An Honorable Mention

Of course, pale pink being my favorite color, I had to include this ultra girly option. This beautiful Venus dress ($44, the least expensive!!!) is so effortlessly cute and comfortable. Most likely, few people around you will have a similar style dress, and its light colors and exposure of the shoulders will make people do a double take. It may be the last option, but it is certainly not the least.

As I mentioned before, many of these options may serve more as inspiration than your perfect look. Nevertheless, I hope this diverse range of dress styles gives you ideas for arriving to formal in style, making your shopping trip a little bit easier. :)

I hope you all had a wonderful Spring Break!

Haley Burgh

DePauw '22

My name is Haley Burgh and I am a freshman at DePauw University. Although I am a vocal performance major, I take a great interest in style and fashion, and always have since I was young. The idea of writing on a blog has always been so intriguing to me, so this semester I decided to pursue this interest as a fun and exciting way to express myself. Excited to be a part of this uplifting feminine community and look forward to interacting with the women of DePauw.
Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!