Once A Tiger, Always A Tiger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
Once A Tiger, Always A Tiger
Mary Ardery

It seems to me that we spend an awful lot of time defending this small campus to outsiders. People ask us what we do for fun in Greencastle; many even joke, “We go to Plainfield!” Personally, however, I find this Indiana town to be quite charming. I’ve only been here for a couple of months, but I am effectively infatuated with college life. I adore Greencastle, and I already bleed black and gold.

This past weekend was special because we were able to share our love for DePauw with those who know it best—the alumni. They were back for Old Gold Weekend, and you could easily spot them walking around campus with those big smiles on their faces, proudly sporting their DePauw apparel. They laughed as they reminisced about their “glory days” full of collegiate clichés.

That is one of the many great things about alumni—we don’t have to explain our DePauw obsession to them. These men and women already fully appreciate the place we have all called home at one point or another. Sure, it may be a bubble in the midst of cornfields, but home is where the heart is… (And why does everyone always hate on corn to begin with?!)

We can relate to the alumni’s memories and stories because we’re making our own right now! This over-the-top lifestyle that some may deem excessive isn’t at all to us. It’s just life, our life, and sorry we’re not sorry about living it. Our time here is limited from the start, with graduation as an expiration date that arrives faster than you can imagine (ask any senior).

But that’s not a reason to pout. It’s just more reason to celebrate and live the life we want to lead now. Rock hard during these glory days, and as alumni we’ll have something to look back on.

Rep your DePauw spirit, own your Tiger Pride. Smile back at those older Tigers with nostalgic gleams in their eyes. We’re DePauw students for four years, but we’re proud alumni for the rest of our lives.

So welcome them back to campus with open arms and wave your Tiger paws no matter the weekend they return. Remember, the Old Gold rule of treating fellow Tigers as you would like to be treated.

Mckenzie Curran is a Sociology and Communication major at DePauw University. Mckenzie is new to the HerCampus Team, and looks forward to planning HerCampus events in the upcoming school year in order to spread awareness of the site. Mckenzie spends her free time going to campus events, baking, and hanging out with her Kappa Alpha Theta sisters.