This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

After taking the MCAT on March 11th, I have had some time to reflect. There are some things I wished I would’ve known, but also some things I think I did right. My biggest piece of advice would be that the MCAT prep course has really helped me so far. Now, I cannot say that for sure because I am still awaiting my test scores, but the Kaplan classes helped me keep on track and prepared me the most for what to expect from the types of questions on the MCAT all the way to helpful ways of remembering information that you will need to know. It also helps in distinguishing the obvious wrong answers to make the best guess if there is no time left or a problem you do not understand at all. The point of the MCAT is to trick you on every question so it is important to learn not only the subject matter, but also learn how to identify those tricks as well as how to take the test. 

Something I wished I would’ve done was to take more AAMC practice tests. They are long tests, 7 and ½ hours to be exact, but it is truly the best preparation to learn how the AAMC will ask the questions. The practice tests also give you a baseline to what you need to focus on studying and also an idea of how it feels to take a test that long.

Some test day advice I have for people who have already done the studying and preparation would be to bring a good lunch as well as snacks. There will be two 10 minute and one 30 minute optional breaks which I would recommend using. Even if you do not think you need it, you can always get up and walk around then go back before your break is over. I would keep an eye on the clock though because if you go over your break it will deduct that time from the test. 

Something else is to wear comfortable clothes, the last thing you need to worry about is feeling uncomfortable during the 7 and ½ hours you will be taking this test. I wore sweatpants and a crewneck sweatshirt with a tank top underneath because I heard that some testing locations do not allow hooded sweatshirts for whatever reason. 

Lastly, leave the phone in the car in a non visible place. You have to store everything inside a locker once you get there but leaving your phone in your locked car makes the check-in process easier. 

The MCAT is an intense experience with the scanning of your palm for entering and leaving the testing room, having your arms checked to make sure you are not cheating, getting your picture taken at the beginning of the test, and being recorded the entirety of the test. With all of that being said, you can do it and it is just one test. So go in there with confidence but do not forget your valid photo ID!

Hi! I’m Alicia and I’m a senior at DePauw University! I’m majoring in biology on a pre-health track!