This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

In celebration of the release of Lizzo’s latest album, Cuz I Love You, I am sharing seven of Lizzo’s most empowering, uplifting lyrics.

Melissa Jefferson, who performs with the stage name “Lizzo,” has been releasing music since 2013 but hasn’t receive the recognition she deserves until recently. Personally, Lizzo’s lyrics have been inspiring me since her 2016 hit “Good as Hell” pulled me out of the deep, dark depths of my high school breakup. Lizzo uses her bold personality and upbeat music to advocate for causes such as racial equality, trans rights, body positivity and female empowerment. In addition to rapping, Lizzo is an absolutely phenomenal flautist. Her flute even has her own Instagram account, @sashabefluting. With the release of her latest album Cuz I Love You on April 19th, 2019, I thought now would be a perfect time to share some of Lizzo’s greatest lyrics to inspire you for the rest of the semester!

1. “I just took a DNA test / Turns out I’m 100% that b*tch.”

“Truth Hurts” is, hands down, my all-time favorite breakup anthem. On second thought, it might just be my favorite song. Last semester, I made my roommates listen to this song at least once a day, accompanied by me screaming every word at the top of my lungs.

2. “Woo girl, need to kick off your shoes / Got to take a deep breath, time to focus on you.”

Anyone can get down to one of Lizzo’s most popular and well-known songs, “Good as Hell.” In this absolute bop, Lizzo encourages women to use breakups as a time for intensive self-care and improvement. How productive!

3. “Woke up feelin’ like I just might run for President / Even if there ain’t no precedent, switchin’ up the messaging.”

OKAY, LIZZO. “Like a Girl” is the ultimate girl gang song. This song encourages women to take a stand for themselves and become more independent in light of the patriarchy.

4. “Only exes that I care about are in my f*cking chromosomes.”

Alright, you can’t just pick one memorable lyric from “Like a Girl.” It’s an absolute lyrical masterpiece—I mean, how smart is this? This song is three minutes and five seconds of female inspiration. If you give any song on this list a listen, try “Like a Girl.”

5. “True love ain’t somethin’ you can buy yourself / True love finally happens when you by yourself.”

Lizzo’s “Soulmate” is all about self-love and reaping the benefits of being single. Throughout the song, Lizzo paraphrases a well-known piece of advice: if you can’t love yourself first, you can’t give love to someone else.

6. “Boss up and change your life / You can have it all, no sacrifice.”

“Good as Hell” is another Lizzo song that’s too good for just one acknowledgment on this list. Promoting self-interest and goal setting, the listener can’t help but want to get out and work on herself!

7. “Mirror, mirror on the wall / Don’t say it, ’cause I know I’m cute (ooh, baby)”

“Juice” is one of Lizzo’s most popular songs but again inspires carefree confidence. You just can’t help but smile when listening to this song!

Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!