This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

The old adage goes that “behind every successful man, there is a strong woman.” Yet this sentiment fails to capture the true strength of women today. Today, women are successful in their own right. Today, rather than looking to successful male figures as role models, young women can aspire to become more like those female role models in their lives and strive for the resilience, compassion and strength that they embody. 

“My high school cross country/track coach because she is the absolute strongest person I have ever met. She has battled and survived breast cancer, is a French world national champion in the 1500m, is the CEO of a company in St. Louis, and she has helped me get through some of the toughest times in my life so far and has taught me so many things that I think about daily.” – Ellie Margulis ‘22

“I would say Mom because she’s really strong and super supportive, and she always does the right thing.” – Adrienne Pemberton ‘22

“My mom, but also Alicia Detterman (‘22) because she’s like the nicest person ever…she always makes me happy.” – Abby Morrison ‘22

“My mom is my biggest role model. She is so strong and one of the only people that I can truly look up to. She emulates all the strongest qualities of women and constantly inspires me to improve myself and be the best version of me I can be.” – Natalie Husby ‘22

“One of my biggest role models is my small group leader from my high school youth group. She embodies grace and love and diligence in all she does and was integral in shaping my friends and me into the women we are today! In loving us well and leading us by example, her role in community and character building is something I know I’ll always be grateful for.” – Erika Marchant ‘22 (left)

“My mom inspires me because she grew up in Peru, and she has worked so hard to achieve her dream of becoming a doctor, and now she works even harder to support our family and take care of my siblings and I. She is the most selfless and loving person I know, and I am so lucky to have her.” – Emily Balding ‘22 (right)

Whether they are moms supporting their children behind the scenes while juggling their own difficulties or coaches that leave a lasting impact on their players, incredible women are inspiring the next generation to be strong, to be courageous, and to never give up on their dreams. 

Economics and pre-med major, Spanish minor. World traveler, athlete, photographer, and writer.
Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!