Style > Beauty

I Tried Bath and Body Works’ Soap Bars: Opinion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

In 2021 I noticed that one of my favorite fragrance stores, Bath and Body Works, had started releasing bar soaps in a few different scents, most of them matching other items in their collection or in the aromatherapy scents. But, I wasn’t in the market for soap. Now, around a year later, I finally caved into my curiosity and bought a Shea Butter Cleansing Bar in the scent Poppy.

I tried Bath and Body Works’®  Shea Butter Cleansing Bars. Here is my honest, unsponsored opinion.

Scent 4.5/5

I chose a bar in the scent Poppy, to match the fragrance that I also purchased. The bar of soap smells exactly like the body spray. Also, when I used the soap, it left the fragrance smell on my skin in a not overpowering but noticeable way. I found it to be a nice soft smell, although the bar itself had way more perfume than the soap lather did.

Soap Feel 4/5

I like to use the soap by rubbing it onto a loofah sponge and then applying it that way. I love how the soap lathers up super thick without having to constantly apply more to the sponge or washcloth. However, when I rinse off the soap it does leave my skin feeling a little slippery.

Moisturizing Power 3.5/5

The soap doesn’t have as much of a deep moisturizing affect as I would have hoped for a shea butter bar. When I shower with it I leave the shower feeling slightly more moisturized than before, but it has no lasting affect after drying off, and it didn’t improve any of my pre-existing dry skin. Plus, there is evidence to suggest that scented soaps are not the best for sensitive skin or intimate areas.

Price 3/5

When compared to other Bath and Body Works’ prices, the Shea Butter Cleansing Bars fit in the general price range. But, compared to other mass produced moisturizing bars, they are on the more expensive side. Priced at $8.50 (as of October, 2022) for 5 oz, the soap products lean towards a more pricy side, but are still not the most expensive bars of soap I have ever used.

In-Store Availability 2.5/5

Depending on the store you visit, the scent options for the bars of soap vary considerably. When I last visited, there were only five scents available in the bar soaps. Most of them were in the aromatherapy section, meaning that there wasn’t an option to get a matching lotion, bar soap, and perfume set. So, if you are like me and like testing the scent before purchasing, it might be a little disappointing. However, most of the soaps are available for purchase online.

Overall Impressions

In all, I think the bar is a solid 3.5/5. The bars smell amazing and leave a nice scent on your skin, have a pretty good lather, and are not too bad for your wallet. However, their moisturizing power and in-store availability leave something to desire.

These opinions are strictly my own. All names and trademarks belong to Bath and Body Works.

Emily Scharf

DePauw '24

Emily is a vocal performance major at DePauw University! She loves all things creative, fun, and musical.