This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Do you ever have those days where you’re stuck in the house, (pre-covid or during) with nothing to do? Here are a few hobbies, some of which I have picked up, during the time I have been trapped in the house trying to keep myself busy

Embroidery

During quarantine I sat down with my aunt over 4 consecutive days and had her teach me how to embroider! Not only was it fun to learn a new hobby but it was also fun to spend time with my aunt and let her do the two things she loves (teaching people and embroidery). So go grab your embroidery hoop, contact a family member/friend or turn to YouTube because we all know there’s thousands of videos for just about anything there, and start crafting!

Stream Sharer

Are you the type of person who just loves to sit and watch movies/tv shows, or loves to listen to new music? Then this is the hobby for you! Literally just sit down, grab some popcorn and watch everything Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, etc have to offer. If you want to be more in touch with your inner musician, deep dive into Spotify or Apple Music and discover some new tracks! Make playlists, discover new movies and new tv shows, and share them with your friends because who doesn’t love some new things to watch/listen to. 

Journaling

Whether you need to get a few things off your chest or you’re wanting to write down a few of your thoughts, journaling can be a great way to express what you’re feeling and just jot down random things! There are so many different ways to express yourself and your thoughts so get creative and pour it all out onto paper!

Baking or Cooking

If you’re anything like myself and you’re wanting to improve your cooking and baking skills, this is the move for you! Plus I mean who doesn’t love to try new things?!? So, find your favorite recipe whether it’s from Pinterest, Grandma’s cookbook or TikTok, and start whipping together some delicious treats for you and all your friends and family! This is even a great way to do a kind deed for your neighbors and share creations with them :)

Yoga/Exercise

This one goes out to all of you wanting to push yourself (body and mind) this quarantine! There are so many online workout programs, apps, videos, etc that can help you get your body and mind right during this hard time. But remember IT IS OKAY IF YOU’RE BODY HAS CHANGED DURING THIS PANDEMIC! It’s okay to take a break and relax! As long as you are happy with your body and mind then that’s all that matters! Live for you sis and love the skin you’re in! 

Started a Small Business 

This is for all my fellow entrepreneurs out there! Start a small business by doing the things you love (or even any of these new hobbies you might have picked up ;) ). This is a great way to share what you’re passionate about and earn a little extra cash on the side. There are so many opportunities/resources to help you through this especially with TikTok and Pinterest! So use your talents as a source of income! And I mean, who doesn’t love to get paid for doing something they love!?!

Oh and also don’t forget to support other small businesses, especially during this pandemic! 

Lizzie is a senior at DePauw University in Greencastle, IN. She is creating her own major compiled of Economics, Computer Science, and Studio Art which she will call "Emerging Technology in Business & Design". She hopes to own her own cosmetic company one day! Lizzie enjoys playing volleyball, doing anything artsy (embroidery, painting, graphic design, etc), playing around with makeup, and all things fall! Lizzie currently works on the photo blogs and she is also the photographer for DePauw's branch of HerCampus.
Hi, I'm Katherine! I'm an Anthropology major. I am a member of the Honors Scholar Program, as well as a Bonner Scholar.