HC DePauw ’12 -‘13 School Year Forecast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

While the weather can be as unpredictable as Casa Grande’s meat, I’ve read up on my farmer’s almanac and am excited to report that this year will be one for the record books.

Construction Forecast: Sunny
Although Anderson Street isn’t expected to wrap up construction until December, Starbucks is set to open on September 24, 2012, just in time for the pumpkin-spice latte to flatter fall’s first crisp breath. Starbucks won’t just bring smiles to students’ faces, but also relief to their diets. Starbucks was recently acknowledged by Eat This, Not That as one of the healthiest fast-food chains around, given you make the right nutritional choices. On a campus of “I don’t have time to eat this so I’ll eat that (insert unhealthy candy bar or abnormally large PB&J),” the low-calorie, on-the-go Bistro Boxes are full of protein to tame your growling stomach. Stick to simple coffee drinks for that caffeine fix. Eat This, Not That says, “As a general rule, the longer the name, the more sugar contained within.”

Here’s a tip from an educated Starbucks customer: Avoid ordering a flavored latte, even the skinny ones! Instead, opt for Starbucks Pike Place Roast (which contains less than 5 calories) with a few pumps of sugar-free syrups such as vanilla, hazelnut, or caramel (these contain zero calories). Add some skim milk and you’ve created an even skinnier version than Starbucks line of lattes.

Greek Life Forecast: Cloudy
According to the DePauw University’s Panhellenic Association Recruitment Policies 2012-2013, no first-year student is permitted to attend a sorority social function until Recruitment is over. This includes co-sponsored events like tailgates. Things get tricky when we throw out the word “co-sponsored” because it’s so ambiguous and easy to manipulate. In past years, tailgates have been a united zone for freshman and upperclassmen to revel in Tiger Pride and co-sponsorship has seen little enforcement. Now, administration is working to change that.

All first-years are allowed on fraternity property September 22, 2012. This date has moved up since last year. Hopefully this will not increase the number of freshman hospital visits, which has been impressively and relatively low compared to past years. First-year women are allowed on sorority property starting Monday, October 22, 2012.

Party Forecast: Scattered Thunderstorms
Unfortunately, storm clouds are brewing in the west. The Indiana State Excise Police are back on campus fulfilling a grant that has been extended until this December. They made it rain at Ball State and IU’s first home football games when Excise Police arrested 55 people during tailgating. I’m sure they will make an undercover appearance at one of DePauw’s tailgates, so be smart about what you are holding and how you are acting in public.

There will also be plenty of conversation about the hard alcohol ban for registered events on campus. I encourage you to participate in these conversations. Let your HC voice be heard! Though a noble cause, I think the hard alcohol ban is a Catch-22— it could increase the amount of pre-gaming among students who misinterpret the safety initiative. The ban could also place more responsibility on the individual rather than blame the compliant fraternity, which has been a longtime coming to the fratty scapegoat.

Fashion Forecast: HOT HOT HOT!
Thanks to the popularity of Bachelorette Emily Maynard and her excessive styling with leather and sequins, expect to see a lot of these sweet, yet sassy, embellishments. Leather jackets are timeless and warm—invest in one! You can pair it with a floral dress to be sweet or, a bright scarf to be sassy. Faux-leather leggings with an oversized cable knit sweater will make an appearance around the first snowfall. Sequins will glitter before the holiday parties even send out their invitations, in the form scarves and skirts. Finally, even though the peplum debuted last year on the red carpet, it is finally being embraced by college girls’ closets everywhere. The peplum’s appeal stems from its figure-flattering, hourglass silhouette and its versatility among skirts, dresses, and tops.

On a final note, please keep in mind that the Mayan calendar says the world will end on December 21, 2012. I’m going to forecast that this won’t happen, but it sure does make the perfect excuse to drop fashion-YOLO’s left and right!

Sources:
http://www.depauw.edu/studentlife/campus-safety/publicsafety/activity-re…
http://www.depauw.edu/files/resources/panhellenic-association-recruitmen…
http://www.in.gov/atc/isep/files/Excise_Officers_Arrest_55_at_Ball_State…
http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slide/runner-4-starbucks?slideshow=186568#…

Mckenzie Curran is a Sociology and Communication major at DePauw University. Mckenzie is new to the HerCampus Team, and looks forward to planning HerCampus events in the upcoming school year in order to spread awareness of the site. Mckenzie spends her free time going to campus events, baking, and hanging out with her Kappa Alpha Theta sisters.