Get Festive for Fall!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

It’s officially fall, which means it is time to revel in delicious pumpkin spice lattes, spooky horror films, hot guys in football pants, homemade apple pie, and comfy sweaters. There are plenty of ways to celebrate the autumn season, so everyone can have some fun! Here’s how!

Spice up your pad!

There is no better way to set the mood for fall than with some super cute (and cheap) decorations! It’s college, so decorating can seem out of the ordinary. I’m here to tell you that’s far from the truth! Check your local Dollar Tree to find cute, cheap decorations! You’ll be surprised by what you find! It is also a great place to find DIY supplies, so grab your roomie and get to work. Crafting a custom wreath of fake leaves for your dorm or apartment with your roommate can definitely be a fun bonding moment!

Get out and enjoy the weather!

Not only does fall bless us with the perfect weather for knitted sweaters, scarves, and boots, it’s also perfect for spending some time outside! Get a group of friends together and head to the nearest pumpkin patch. Spend some time picking out the perfect pumpkin and take it home to decorate. If you’re not afraid to get messy, carve them! If you and your friends are more on the elegant side, consider painting or bedazzling them! Make it a competition – may the best pumpkin win!

If you’re feeling brave, pay a visit to some haunted houses or your local theater to see the newest horror film of the season. It is a fun activity to do with a group of friends, but it is also the perfect date idea. What better way to get close to your crush than getting scared and clutching onto them? Yeah, I couldn’t think of anything either!

The slight breeze wafting the smell of the fallen deep maroon and caramel leaves that scatter the ground can put your senses at ease while you’re doing school work. Campus is full of great outdoor study spaces! The nice weather can definitely help to ease the stress of studying for that big exam or offer a calm, quiet place to get some reading done.

Stay in!

While fall weather can be perfect for outdoor activities, it is also great for football parties and lazy movie days! Invite people over, make some snacks, wear a jersey, and watch some Sunday football. It’s okay if you have to borrow the jersey, have no idea who the person is, and have no idea what is going on during the game. Just look cute and have fun, because I can guarantee you’re not the only one! If you’re not feeling especially social, throw on your favorite sweats and fuzzy socks and enjoy some me time! Snuggle up on the couch with some hot chocolate and your favorite book or binge watch some Netflix. There’s no shame in that!

Indulge!

Fall is not only known for beautiful weather and football; one of its other perks is the delicious food. While you’re at the pumpkin patch, pick up some apples! Eat them fresh, coat them in caramel, make a homemade apple pie, or hollow them out and make some festive caramel apple Jell-O shots! Take a walk to your nearest coffee shop and order a pumpkin spice latte, because it’s okay to be basic sometimes! And who could forget about Thanksgiving? Take the time to have Friendsgiving before you leave for fall break! Make all the traditional foods. It’ll be a pleasant change from the Easy Mac you’re used to, and it’ll be a great opportunity for bonding!

Enjoy the fall, y’all!