Expectations vs. Realities of College Life 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Before I came to college this fall, I searched for hours to find exactly what I should expect. Through these expectations, I had come up with an idea for what my life will be like once I started college. Now that I am an actual college student, I compiled a list of my expectations versus the realities of my time at DePauw so far.

Expectation #1: I would be best friends with both of my roommates, and we would hang out all the time. 

Reality: While, I really like both of my roommates, the only time we are together is when we are sleeping. The reality is you become better friends with those in your classes rather than those that you live with. You should not stress out about not being super close to your roommates. Rather than your best friend, you should think of your roommate as someone who you need to respect and be kind to and in return, they will do the same to you. Also, I learned that those who do live with their best friends tend to not be after a couple of weeks because they spend all day, every day together. 

Expectation #2: I would exercise every day before class and get in a good breakfast just like I did in high school.

Reality: This is an impossible expectation especially because I have class at 8 a.m. three days a week. I still cannot fathom how I did this in high school; college is a completely different mindset. It is hard enough to wake up and get ready at seven am. Most days I barely get breakfast. I wouldn’t even say that it is because I became lazy, I just stay up later in order to study. Through being in college, I have learned that sleep is way more important than exercising at the break of dawn. Instead of fulfilling my expectation, my reality is that I joined two fitness classes at my university in order to work out four times a week which fits with my schedule perfectly and is a reasonable task. As for a good breakfast, I don’t think I will ever get back to getting a quality breakfast. Currently, if I have time to grab a coffee, it means I am well above the curve. Instead of a quality breakfast, I make up for it by packing quality snacks for between classes. 

Expectation #3: I wouldn’t be able to nap at all because I will be so busy. 

Reality: In high school, I never had time to take a break between sports, clubs and volunteering. While, I still am busy (if not more so), college has allowed me to have much more freedom. After my classes, I can go back to my dorm and take a quick nap and then start my other activities for the day. Being able to have this break from all the responsibilities that I now have, has done wonders for my mental health. It allows me time to distress and not worry about whatever else is going on in my life. I am recharged for the rest of day if I have a midday nap. I completely recommend at quick thirty minute nap to everyone in college in order to take a break from the stresses of college. 

Expectation #4: My classes would be just like my AP classes in high school. 

Reality: My classes in college are a lot harder and more intense than my classes in high school. There is always homework to do before class and projects on top of that. It is more important to stay on top of your schedule in college and to keep a detailed planner. Unlike in high school, you must study more than just a couple hours a week in order to succeed. 

Expectation #5: My professors would love my writing. 

Reality: This was a big shock to me. I never thought that I was a superior writer by any means, but my teachers in high school gave me good grades on most of my essays. In college, my professors are kind enough to help me with my writing, but I now realize how many mistakes I have been making. This will help me in the future, and I am excited to get better. This expectation was hard to get over but, in the end, it will allow me to be the best I can be. Take negative feedback in stride, it is only going to make you a better writer. 

Hey, I am Rachel! I am a first year at Depauw University.
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.