This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

There comes a point in the semester when you just don’t have the energy to wake up and straighten or curl your hair for class, and I am there already. As I hit the snooze button one more time each morning, I have been challenging my creativity when trying to fix my hair fast while still looking like I put some effort into it. My biggest trick is using braids! They are simple, fast, and are great for covering up second-day hair. Here are my four favorite braid styles right now!

Fishtail

I love fishtail braids! They are super easy to learn how to do, and there are tons of tutorials online, but once you get the hang of it, it is just as easy as a normal braid. As shown below, you can do one simple fishtail down the middle, or you can spice it up by doing a half-up, half-down fishtail and adding a bow to give your outfit even more style. Fishtails don’t always work if you have a ton of layers in your hair but are perfect for girls who have a lot of length to work with.

Half Up, Half Down

This simple half-up, half-down ‘do is one of my personal favorites. I use this style when my hair is looking mildly tame but could benefit from some character or (life hack) when I only have time to straighten or curl half of my hair. This tip cuts the time it takes to get ready in half while still looking amazing! Below are two different styles that are just normal braids, but you could also incorporate a French braid too! Either way, you will be​ walking out the door on time—and looking fabulous.

Double Braids

This is a timeless classic. It works if you have short hair or long hair and makes any outfit look sporty and youthful. This requires a little bit of French braiding talents. There are tons of YouTube videos that can teach you, or you can find a friend who will do it for you. I love braiding my friends’ hair for them. This hair style is also great for mornings when you are running a little late and don’t have time to wash your hair. Just spray on some dry shampoo, put in your braids, and you are ready for the day.

Simple Side Braid

This sleek and mature look is fast, easy and makes getting ready super simple. You can start this as a French braid going into a regular braid or you can stick with the basic over the shoulder. This style works even with a dressier outfit and still gets you where you need to go on time. Plus, you can add a ribbon or fun hair tie if you are looking to make your braid style fun and flirty. 

Hi, I'm Zosha! I'm a senior and I'm also the Senior Editor of the DePauw HerCampus Chapter. I'm an English Writing Major and Psychology Minor. In addition to HerCampus, I am also a Bonner School, Fiction Editor for the Midwestern Review, and a member of Alpha Chi Omega. My obsessions are otters, The Office, and flowers.
Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!