Adjusting to Living In Your Sorority House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Last year I made the decision to join a sorority on campus, and it has been the most amazing experience. Those of you who have also joined a sorority know that sophomore year is quite a change. It’s a change because you are living in the sorority house instead of a dorm. Living in a sorority house can be a major adjustment for some women, and some women just ease into. I am going to share my experience of what it has been like moving into my sorority house for the first time! Depending on what sorority you are a member of, the housing situation can be different, so what I discuss may not necessarily apply to all!

The biggest adjustment for me had to be the infamous cold dorm; let’s just say I have a love-hate relationship with it. Let me quickly explain what a cold dorm is—  basically it is a giant room full of bunk beds where everyone who lives in the house sleeps. It’s called a cold dorm because it really is cold (there are fans and AC units all over) and it is very dark. The hardest part for me when it came to adjusting to the cold dorm was that you can’t use your phone while you are in there. I am the kind of person who likes to watch a Youtube video or Netflix show right before bed, and I can’t do that anymore! So far I have actually enjoyed sleeping in the cold dorm, and dare I say it has been the best sleep of my life. Some really like the cold dorm and some don’t, but either way it’s a big change.

In my sorority house, the rooms are a little different as well. Since we all sleep in the cold dorm, our rooms are basically just for getting dressed and hanging out. I share my room with two other women and in the room we have our closets, desks and a daybed. I actually really like how our sorority has their rooms set up. The only downside is that there is literally no privacy. That has been a huge adjustment for me especially because I am an only child. I had all the privacy in the world, but that got thrown out of the window when I moved into my soroity. We have all gotten really close, but sometimes it is a little too close. Sorority houses typically have a lot of different hang out rooms, such as an informal living room, so that’s always an option for a little more privacy. What I found to be the best way to get some privacy is go outside or sit in your car if you need a minute or two to yourself.  

Another thing, do not let your sorority house be the only place you hang out or the only people you hang out with. Take time to go somewhere different even if it is to study! Also, if you have friends who may be in another house or who are not affiliated at all, don’t forget about them!! Try and make time to see your other friends and even though it can be tough, it is worth it in the long run. Make a point to ask your other friends in different organizations to meet up and study or grab a coffee to catch up. 

Even though getting adjusted to living in your sorority house can be difficult, try to enjoy this unique experience! When else will you get the opportunity to live in one place with 60 plus of your friends? 

DePauw 2022 - Political Science & History Major Cheezit Connoisseur, History Geek, Future Elle Woods
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.