A First Year Mentor’s Take on Orientation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

As an incoming freshman I was so nervous when move-in day rolled around. Would I like my classes? Would I meet good friends? What if I hadn’t even picked the right college? All these worries and more were in the minds of every person in my class. Thankfully, DePauw has a wonderful first year mentoring program that helps all of the freshmen come out of their shells. My first year mentor, Maggie, was so influential for me and she helped everyone in my orientation group be the best versions of themselves! I was interested in Maggie’s perspective on what it means to be a first year mentor so I decided to ask her about her experiences.

HC: Hi Maggie! Thanks for talking with me today. I wanted to start by asking you about your experience as a freshman and your first year mentor. Why did you want to become a first year mentor?

MP: My first year mentor was named CJ, he was wonderful and created such a community for us. We were all so nervous coming in, especially because of Covid, but CJ made us so comfortable and facilitated so many friendships between us. I am so grateful to him and he is the reason I wanted to be a mentor!

HC: Can you tell us what your favorite thing about your first year mentor is?

MP: My favorite thing about CJ was how honest he was and how he made the best of everything. Our original mentor got Covid right before orientation, so CJ was sort of thrown into everything last minute. But he explained everything to us and let us know we would figure it out together, which set a great tone for the rest of the year. 

HC: Now that you are a first year mentor, what is your favorite part? Would you recommend being a first year mentor?

MP: My favorite part is how wonderful it is to be able to usher in the first years and help them find their community on campus. It is so rewarding to see them being leaders a year or two down the road. I would totally recommend it.

HC: What sort of skills do you think a first year mentor should have?

MP: They need to be able to follow through, that’s a big thing. They should also be enthusiastic for DePauw, in a realistic way of course. They don’t need to be DePauw’s number one fan, but they do need to promote it. Positivity is also super important. Be an extrovert! Or at least be able to pull the first out of their shells. And definitely have a comforting presence. 
HC: Well thank you so much for being a great mentor and for interviewing with me!

Bella, a student at DePauw University, is studying both the fields of Political Science and Music Performance. With a profound passion for advocacy and the arts, she has embarked on a journey that combines her academic pursuits and personal interests. As a double major in Political Science and Music Performance, Bella is driven by a fervent desire to make a meaningful impact on the world through her talents and dedication. Bella's commitment to excellence extends beyond her academic pursuits. She works as an intern at the Matthew Shepard Foundation where she manages and edits their youth blog, Matthew’s Place. Her journey with the blog began four years ago when she started as a writer, and she has since contributed over 50 articles, showcasing her ability to address crucial youth-oriented topics with depth and insight. Bella's work at Matthew's Place underscores her dedication to civil advocacy, a passion she hopes to further nurture and expand upon as she embarks on her post-college career. Beyond her academic and advocacy pursuits, Bella finds solace and inspiration with her friends, in nature, and while cooking. When not immersed in her studies or advocacy work, you can often find her getting an ice cream at Scoops, exploring the scenic beauty of DePauw's nature park, or trying new recipes in the kitchen. As she looks ahead to her future, Bella envisions herself making a profound difference in the world through her work in civil advocacy and performing with professional ensembles. Bella's journey is a testament to her dedication to her passions and her determination to use her talents to effect positive change in the world.