This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
Casper the Friendly Ghost (1995)

Casper the Friendly Ghost is a movie about a ghost who enjoys befriending people instead of scaring them. Casper lives in a mansion with his three obnoxious uncles: Stretch, Stinkie, and Fatso. A ghost therapist is then hired when the owner wants to remove the ghosts to find the hidden treasure in the house. Casper quickly becomes close friends with the ghost therapist’s loner teenage daughter, Kat. Kat then helps Casper on a quest to discover a secret that would bring him back to life while the other characters use this information for their own personal gain. The movie touches lightly on the theme of the heart’s desire, but overall is a fun family movie to watch during the Halloween season!

Halloweentown (1998)

Halloweentown is a movie that explores a different world where all Halloween monsters live separate from our world. It all starts when Marnie’s grandmother comes to town. Marnie then overhears an argument between her grandmother and mother about not raising her to be a witch. After this discovery, she and her siblings, Dylan and Sophie Piper, follow their grandmother on a bus to Halloweentown. Once there, Marnie and her siblings have to save their grandmother and mother along with all of Halloween town and the human world from a dark force. Halloweentown is a must-watch movie and is mostly geered towards younger kids, but is still able to entertain all ages!

Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus is a Halloween must-watch. Teenager, Max, moves to Salem, Massachusetts with his younger sister, Dani. While there, they explore an abandoned house with their new friend Alison. Max accidentally awakens three evil witches that were executed in the 17th century. The three sister witches try to come back for good by stealing the youth of children. Max, Dani, and Alison then have to make a plan to stop them with their sidekick Binx, who was turned into a cat by the witches before they were executed. Hocus Pocus is good for any age and always fun to rewatch every year!

The Addams Family

The Addams Family is a classic Halloween movie. Main character Gomez Addams and his wife, Morticia Addams, have long waited the return of Gomez’s long lost brother, Fester Addams. When he finally arrives, the family is thrilled. Not long after his arrival, Morticia and her children, Wednesday and Pugsley, suspect Fester is not who he says to be. The Addams Family is a good movie to watch anytime of the year, but is always a go to Halloween movie!

Ghostbusters (1984)

Who are you going to call? Ghostbusters of course! When a team of scientists lose their positions at an university in New York City, they decide to become ghostbusters. While doing this, they accidentally open a doorway to another dimension. Now, they have to save the world from complete destruction. Ghostbusters is action packed and fun for the whole family!

Hi! I’m Alicia and I’m a senior at DePauw University! I’m majoring in biology on a pre-health track!
Hi, I'm Katherine! I'm an Anthropology major. I am a member of the Honors Scholar Program, as well as a Bonner Scholar.