This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

College is a very stressful time in our lives. Managing classes, homework, exams and not to mention a social life can all be overwhelming. All the research that has been done to accumulate tips and tricks for getting through college all have one thing they all have in common: some kind of planner system. As we begin the second month of classes and fall back into our routines, I have found that a planner is the key to my personal success. The following tips are ones I’ve found to be most helpful.

Color Coding

When working with your planner, color coding is a must! While serving as an organization skill, this also causes your planner to be pleasing to the eye. Whether you decide to color code based on your classes, different areas of your life or by importance, this tip will bring a new level of organization and flare to your planner.

Time Blocking

As much as we may wish college was as simple as “class, homework, sleep, repeat” it’s just not. Dividing time between classes, work, sports, clubs and friends can be tough. Personally, time blocking changed my college experience. Being able to see each hour of my day laid out not only makes it clear what I need to complete in a day, but it also displays where I have free time. This visually shows where I can fit in an hour for time with my friends or on some days a nap.   

Planning Out Your Week

For those who struggle to keep up with consistently using their planner, this is what helped me. Every Sunday I sit down at my desk and write out what I know my week will entail. Similar to time blocking, this allows me to see everything for my week laid out, this also encourages me to use my planner for the entire week. Use this time to organize your planner how you please, rather than scribbling down an assignment at the end of class. 

Inspirational Quotes

The most underrated part of a respectable planner is a weekly inspirational quote. The thing is, life is hard. Adding college into the mix does not lessen any of the stress. Adding the right quote to your planner each week can not only brighten your day, but remind you that you are working towards something bigger.

Deja Scott

DePauw '22

DePauw 2022 Economics and Sociology Major
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.