10 Staycation Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

College summers are often much busier than the summers of your childhood. With internships and jobs, suddenly your responsibilities don’t stop with the end of the school year. Suddenly, there is less of a chance to get away and travel or to take much of a vacation. Fear not, however, because “staycations” are becoming increasingly popular. A staycation is a vacation spent at home, or in surrounding towns. Staycations can last as little as an afternoon, or as long as an entire week. Here are ten ideas to get your summer staycation off to a great start.

1. Go on a local hike.

What’s better than enjoying good weather and good scenery? Enjoying those things – and not having to drive more than a few minutes. Take an hour or so to explore a local park while simultaneously getting those steps in.

2. Pitch a tent.

For those who are a bit more dedicated to an outdoorsy lifestyle, try camping at a local park. Getting out of the house will feel great, and the short trip home the next day won’t leave you feeling drained for an entire day.

3. Visit a museum.

Even though school’s out, consider taking some time to educate yourself by visiting a local museum. Whether it’s a historical, scientific, or artistic museum, there are lots of affordable museum options throughout the country that offer the opportunity for visitors to take a few hours to learn new and exciting information.

4. Hang up a hammock in your yard.

Grab a good book, some good friends, or a good sandwich and hang up a hammock!

5. Go to the local pool.

A pool day is the perfect way to honor summer. Don’t forget to protect your skin by applying sunscreen regularly!

6. Get crafty.

A canvas can be a great way to relieve stress, spread a little inspiration, and create some super cute décor all at once.

7. Have an at-home spa day.

Did someone say face masks? Grab some lemon water and sit back – you deserve this time to relax and focus on yourself!

8. Take an exercise class at a local gym.

Sweat it out! Whether it’s a long-time favorite or a new-to-you class, it’s never a bad idea to treat your body to some physical activity.

9. Catch a movie.

To save money, try a matinée! Some exciting movies coming out in Summer 2018 include: Avengers: Infinity War, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Deadpool 2, Incredibles 2, and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

10. Take a nap!

Nap to your heart’s content. Before long, the responsibilities of life will come back at full swing, so it’s never a bad idea to catch up on some much-needed rest.